Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Gym Pact App Review

Hello friends!

Have you all heard of the app Pact / Gym Pact? A few months ago, everyone was talking about it! I recently started using it and wanted to put my thoughts out there for anyone who is interested in trying it out.

When the app first came out, it was called Gym Pact, but I think they're rebranding to just call it Pact. Using this app, you set a goal for yourself for healthy behaviors you want to practice through the week: a certain number of times you want to work out, a certain number of days you want to log what you eat, or a number of veggies you want to eat throughout the week.

If you miss your goal, you pay up. When you make your "pact," you choose how much you want to pay for each day you miss. The lowest option is $5/day missed. So if I say I want to work out four times a week and then only do twice, that's $10 I have to pay up.

If you hit your goal, you get paid!

When Pact was all the rage a few months ago, I was hesitant to sign up. When I was training for big races, I wanted to be able to take rest days when I needed to and not worry about my Pact. But I recently signed up, thinking I could make money off something I should doing anyway.

So far, I really like using Pact! I have made pacts to work out and to log my food.

When I work out, I either use RunKeeper, which syncs with Pact to record my workout, or the motion tracker built in to Pact. One thing I didn't notice immediately is that the motion tracker is literally tracking your motion so if your phone doesn't move enough, even though you might be working out, it won't count. It also draaaains your battery. So mostly I've used RunKeeper and then synced my workouts. There's also another option to use GPS to identify your gym and show that you're there for long enough, but I haven't used that option.

For logging your food, Pact syncs with MyFitnessPal, which I've used before, so that's super easy. You do have to log three meals and at least 1200 calories, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

I haven't used Pact to count my veggies yet. From what I can tell, you take a picture of yourself eating fruits/veggies and other users vote on whether your picture is legit.

You don't make TONS of money using Pact. In the first week I used it, I made $1.25, the second week $1.28. I think you have to earn at least $10 before you can get paid. But it has been a good motivator for me to move my body since I'm not training for a race right now. I've returned to my days of walking during my lunch breaks (if you remember that, you've been here a LONG time!) and that counts toward my Pact!

Do any of you use Pact? What do you think?


3 comments:

Kate said...

Ha! I remember you walking during your lunch breaks. Guess that shows how long I've been around. :P

I've always wondered about this app. On the one hand, it sounds super cool. Buttttt I always, always run with my iPod instead of my phone. So it kinda puts a damper on things. But maybe I'll give it a shot at some point.

Cassy said...

I have never heard of this app. I am so behind the times! But thank you so much for reviewing it. It looks super intriguing. I might just sign up!

Tamara said...

I haven't heard of this app but it definitely sounds interesting. Kind of like the DietBet where you bet you can lose a percentage of your weight and if you win - you get money! if you lose - you lose money. For me money isn't always the greatest incentive, but I am trying to do better so maybe it'll work this time? I'm going to check it out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...