Updated: Congratulations Breenah! You're the winner of the Roomies giveaway!
I usually reserve Fridays for book reviews, but I've got something cooler for you today! A couple authors who I reaaaally like, Tara Altebrando and Sara Zarr, teamed up to write a new book called Roomies. And the publishers are giving you the chance to win a copy!! (read how at the bottom of this post)
You may remember Tara from my review of Dreamland Social Club. Sara wrote both Sweethearts and Story of a Girl. Roomies, their new book, is about two future-roommates, "meeting" electronically the summer before their freshman year.
It's time to meet your new roomie.
When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.
As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.
Sounds good, right?
Ok, so I may be a little biased. Having spent two years as a Resident Assistant (RA) in the res halls as well as racking up at least fourteen official (plus some unofficial) roommates of my own in the past six years, I've seen a lot in the realm of roommate relations. Some of the worst stories:
- The resident who let her friend have sex on her roommate's bed while her roommate was out of town
- The resident who had sex in her room with her roommate there -- before they had even officially met!!
- My freshman year roommate who was literally the messiest person I've ever known -- she had a tendency to leave... ahem... used feminine products lying around. Yuck.
- That same roommate's birthday was the same night as a tornado warning, and she ran out to the lobby of our dry campus (meaning no alcohol allowed, even if you're of age, which she wasn't) to look out the windows -- hiding a beer under a towel she threw over her arm. Because, you know, you can't leave your beer behind in a tornado!!
- The residents who came to my room crying on separate occasions because they couldn't agree on how to arrange the furniture in their room (big crisis, I'm telling ya).
But I've also had some really great roommates. Simone, one of my best friends, and I lived together my sophomore year. I spent many nights sitting on the floor of her room talking, and loved critiquing the boys she dated :) We had a couple fights, but we made it through all right and she's still one of my closest friends!
And I miss my former roommate Sam like crazy -- he moved out to go to law school and our house totally isn't the same without him.
And living with Pat is all right, I guess. :)
So I'm pretty excited about this book. And I think you should be too.
Sara and Tara are on tour now! Unfortunately none of their booked tours are near me, but maybe they're near you?
- January 12, 2014 – New York, NY: McNally Jackson
- January 15, 2014 – Salt Lake City, UT: The King's English
- January 16, 2014 – Provo, UT: Provo Library
- February 4, 2014 – San Francisco, CA: Books Inc, Opera Plaza
- February 5, 2015 – Petaluma, CA: Copperfield's Books
For your chance to win a copy of Roomies, leave a comment telling me about your worst/funniest roommate experience -- or, if you don't have one of those, one that you've heard or a warm and fuzzy roommate memory. Any kind of roommate memory, really. Potluck roomies, bff roomies, sisters. Free for all. Unfortunately, this giveaway is restricted to US street addresses only.
I'll pick a winner Wednesday, January 15th at 8 pm, so have your comment posted by then! Please make sure to include an email address where I can reach you -- especially if you're a no reply blogger!
May the odds be ever in your favor!