Friday, February 10, 2012

Book Review: Jurassic Park



Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Description from Goodreads (below) can be found here along with other reviews.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Creatures once extinct now roam Jurassic Park, soon-to-be opened as a theme park. Until something goes wrong...and science proves a dangerous toy.

As a 22-year-old girl who primarily reads chick lit, I am not the typical science fiction reader. Throughout the time I was reading this book, when people asked me how it was, I hesitantly answered, "Well, it's more science than I'm used to..."

But in the end I thoroughly enjoyed reading Jurassic Park. The science is ever-present, but always understandable. Sometimes I even caught on to things before they were fully explained, which made me feel smart. :) I've seen the movie, but only once, so even though I remembered that much of the action was the same in book and movie, a lot of it still surprised me, and there was plenty that wasn't in the movie. There was some gore, which I was expecting, but it was never too much for me to handle.

My only complaint was that there were a lot of characters. Like, a looooot. So when people got hurt/maimed/killed, half the time I didn't remember or care who they were. I wish I had kept a little chart to keep track of names or something. BUT I did remember the main characters and I cared what happened to them, so I was still invested in the book.

I think I like Jurassic Park more now than when I first finished it. It's one of those stories that you keep thinking about long after you read it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...