Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Slow. It. Down.

Graduation is fast approaching... except not really.

Do you guys ever get trapped in the planning-for-the-future-and-forgetting-the-now wormhole?

For a while, I've thought I kindof sortof knew what life would look like come May and the end of my student career at KU. Not the exact job, or the exact home, but a state, a region, a fuzzy poloroid of what my life would look like. Due to a series of events, though, my potential future has suddenly shifted ever-so-slightly and now I want to spend Every. Waking. Second. planning for a future that isn't set in stone yet.

(Besides, when is anything ever set in stone?)
But there's so much good in store before then. I need to sloooow dooooown. I need to be here, now. I need to stop bugging Pat about what's going to happen, stop looking at jobs I can't apply for yet and stop looking at puppies I can't adopt yet.

There are still days-weeks-months-half a year before graduation. And there will be so many great things in those times. Promise.

Like crunchy leaves blowing across the sidewalk.

Like my favorite student coming by my cube just to say hey.

Like the first basketball game of the season tonight.

Like hot chocolate and warm blankets.

Like Thanksgiving home with my family and a fire in the fireplace.

Gotta keep my head in the game or all these beautiful, joyful, wonderful moments are going to blow by me and I won't even have noticed.

Do you guys ever get stuck thinking about the future? Any sure-fire tricks to slow your brain down?

5 comments:

jaime said...

Enjoy your time right now. Even if you think you have things set in stone when you graduate, those plans are likely to change or something isn't going to really turn out the way you imagined. So just have fun right now. :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy those times between now and graduation! It sounds like you have a lot of fun to look forward to in the in between.

Holly said...

I used to get SO stuck on thinking of the future, but for the past year I have forced myself to 'live in the now' and focus on the present. There is definitely so much good in the present and I want to enjoy it! I want to look back on my life and think, "Hey, that was fun!" instead of wishing I did something I wanted to do but didn't. I hope you can find a balance to enjoy the present :)

Genna said...

I graduate in a month and a half and I'm getting married two months after that. Yeah, I'd say I'm in that ignore-the-present-focus-on-the-future wormhole.
And I really needed to read this today, so thank you!

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Life is a journey, not a destination.
I especially liked your comment about hot chocolate and down blankets.
Have your read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle? I think you would enjoy it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...