Friday, January 4, 2013

Book review: Legend


Legend by Marie Lu

Description from Goodreads (below) can be found here along with other reviews. Linking up with Blonde... Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday.

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


Unfortunately I didn't love this book. It does have a 4.08 on Goodreads, so if you'd like to read other reviews, go there. But here's my thoughts, for any who care.

ONE. The plot of this story seems like it would be great. I love a good dystopian novel. But for me, it didn't measure up. A lot of the world-building needed to be more specific. I didn't understand why I should hate the Republic for most of the book. I didn't know that it was only the western US until re-reading the description just now. I just needed more information so I could be invested in Day, who fights against the Republic.

TWO. The characters were not good. Many parts that needed to have emotion didn't. At all. I didn't care what happened to anyone except Tess, a not-major-but-not-minor character. Which made me really apathetic about the entire book.

That's a lot of it, really. There were other things I didn't like as I was reading it, but if these two problems --my confusion and my lack of connection to the characters -- were solved, I might have enjoyed the book.

I gave it two stars on Goodreads. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever read -- I made it through -- but I certainly don't recommend it.

Have any of you read this book? It's well liked on Goodreads. What did you think?



4 comments:

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

I read it and liked it!

Shoshanah said...

I have heard great things about this, and believe this is the first negative review I've read of it. But we can't all enjoy the exact same things. And hopefully when I finally get to it, it's one I enjoy.

Katie said...

I saw this and thought that i didn't know about a book that matched the 1980's Legend movie with Tom Cruise. ...hopefully it was a better book than that movie. However, my friends in high school found out that we could watch movies in double time on his VHS player. We experimented with Legend, and turns out, that movie is HILARIOUS in double time. Just so you know. Totally random comment. Haha! :)

Janie said...

I've had this on my to-read list for a long time. I don't think I've heard a not-raving review, but I like to hear from both ends of the spectrum. I hate reading a book that everyone loved and I don't love it. I like to know someone out there agrees.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...