Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Christmas 2014

The holidays were a bit weird round these parts.

Despite hours and hours of Christmas-music-listening logged since October (yes, October), it didn't really feel like Christmas Eve as I boarded a plane to get home for Christmas. I think partially because I didn't really have the budget to buy presents this year, and gift giving is my favorite, and because I didn't really have anyone here in Colorado to Christmas with.

Then, as we drove to my hometown from the airport, my mom filled me in on my grandma's health which, to be short, was quickly deteriorating.

My grandma ended up passing on Christmas. Our planned Christmas dinner ended up being cooked 100% by me and my little sister -- which is funny when you consider I haven't eaten meat in 10 years and was in charge of the Christmas ham -- and eaten in shifts on couches instead of as a full holiday dinner.

So the holidays were a bit different this year.

After Christmas, Emily was able to come home, too, and all of us worked on putting together a memorial service for my grandma, including a 15-minute slideshow that got applause at the end (thank youuuu).

If there's one thing I'll remember from this trip home, I think it's the hours of combing through old photos -- Grandma's and ours -- to put together a tribute to her life. We all picked the photos, Emily digitalized them using an app, I put them into a powerpoint, my mom gathered music, and Anna combined the music and made it match the timeline in the pictures.

If you're interested, here is the slideshow. It moves really slowly because we wanted all the old folks to have time to read the caption and appreciate the photo. Also, it's 15 minutes long. So, you know, don't feel obligated. I think it's really neat but, duh, it's my grandma.



So. Anyway. All this is why you haven't seen any cheery happy Christmas or New Years posts from me. As ever, I am hopeful to blog more consistently. But you know. We'll see.

Hope you got to spend some time with someone you love this holiday season.






PS - I've turned the comments off on this post. I appreciate all of you anyway. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...