Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Before my second half marathon: Training Tuesday

It's Tuesday again, and around here that means I talk about my training! If you're working toward any kind of healthy living goal, feel free to link up and share your progress. Go on, brag about yourself a little!

A little programming note: This will be my last Training Tuesday, at least for a while. I started this series way back when I signed up for my first half marathon and when I felt like I had SO MUCH running stuff to talk about. That's just not the case any more. It has come to feel forced, and I don't want it to be.

If any of you all want to still write Training Tuesdays, please do! I still enjoy reading them. But for now, I just don't have that much to say.

I'll still post a recap of my half and my upcoming 5k, so look for those. :)



Workouts this week:
Tuesday: Intervals inside
Wednesday: Rested
Thursday: Ran a technology-free three miles at the rec center when I forgot my phone in the car! Kind of nice to not worry about my pace, but it made me hate all the people on the indoor track even more than I usually do.
Friday: Rested
Saturday: Cross trained by helping my sister pack her kitchen to move :)
Sunday: Five miles
Monday: More cross training thanks to my sister's move -- we adopted her very heavy kitchen table, which Pat and I moved down a flight of stairs and up into our apartment. I also ran around her complex's parking lot a bunch because my key didn't work :)

My second half marathon is coming up this Sunday.
It feels WAY different than my first.

Going into my first, I felt super excited on all my runs in the last week. All I could think about was how I would pace myself and other strategy.

I guess I'm just now getting into the last week, but I'm not sure that excitement will be there. This time, I'm more concerned with getting to the race, which is in a less-familiar city, what time to wake up, and how I'm going to eat and hydrate the night before and go to KU's first football game.

I'm excited to have another chance to have a race I can feel happy about. And that's my main goal. I've said all along I don't want to walk in this one unless I'm walking through an aid station (I haven't mastered the art of grabbing those little cups and drinking while running without spilling down my arm).

But even more than that I just want to be happy with how I do. Whether I'm faster or not, whether I finish without walking or not, I just want to have a smile at the end when they get my picture at the finish line.

My sisters and at least one parent are planning on coming to the race, along with a new school friend and Pat. So hopefully it'll just be a fun race and another medal to hang on my wall.

Think of me and Holly this Sunday! We'll be running half marathons (mostly) at the same time -- mine starts 7am central time and hers 7am eastern!



7 comments:

Ech and Will said...

Good luck! I'll be cheering from here!

jaime said...

Good luck this weekend! I'm hoping for a super fun, great half marathon for you.

And you should reconsider hosting a training Tuesday next week - filled with your race recap!!

Katrin said...

Good luck for your half marathon! I am sure you will do great!

Lee Ann said...

I know you didn't ask, but I use one of 2 options are water stations:

1. Pinch the cup in the middle and the bottom hole is large enough to drink out of and the top hole is small enough that it doesn't slosh. Win, Win!
2. I use a handheld water bottle and take off the top when I am approaching a water station and fill up my bottle with a cup from the front of the station and a cup from the back. No need to stop running and you have water for a stretch. (This is the method I generally use b/c I keep my fuel in the pouch on my bottle)

Good luck with your run!

The Lady Okie said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have fun. Training can get long and boring, but the race is the fun part! Can't wait to hear about it!

The Lady Okie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaitlin said...

Go you!! Hope the race is awesome :) I had to take a little break from training because I got sick last week - I was probably over training and not eating/drinking enough :( Hoping to get back into it this weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...