Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Running in the morning: Training Tuesday

Hey friends! It's Tuesday again, and around here that means I talk about my training! If you're working toward any kind of healthy living goal, feel free to link up and share your progress. Go on, brag about yourself a little!



Workouts this week
Tuesday: Three easy-pace miles
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: Hill workout -- this one always confuses me. I've only tried it a few times. The directions say to find a "moderately" sloped hill that it takes you 2-3 minutes to run up and run up it a few times. (Ok, the directions are more elaborate than that, but not too much.) So I dunno if my hill isn't sloped enough or long enough or what, but it never really seems like enough of a workout. Hopefully it's still doing something.
Friday: Rested
Saturday: 10 miles! I finished, which was the main goal. I was real slow, but seeing as I've been trying to run slow, I'm okay with that. Just wanted to finish. We also went disc golfing.
Sunday: Went for real golfing! Okay, only the driving range and putting, but still.
Monday: Rested


Rules for morning runs


I mostly run in the evenings -- during the summer, it's usually been right when the sun is about to go down, but year-round, I usually run as soon as I get done with work or class. But with this dang heat, sometimes even running right before sun down hasn't worked out for me -- and I'm tired of not finishing runs because it's too hot or humid.
I chose this picture, from my half marathon, because I look tired. And it was in the morning.

So I've been running in the mornings a lot more than usual lately, and it's not always easy for me. Here are some of the things I do to try to make it easier:

ONE. Lay your workout gear out the night before. <<<< I don't always do this, but I'm always glad when I do. It saves a lot of fumbling around in a half-asleep state in a dark room, and helps me make less noise when Pat is still sleeping.

TWO. Set your alarm earlier than you think you need to. I always think, yeah, I can get ready for a run in 15 minutes. Nope. Not first thing in the morning. So if I need to be on the road at 7:30, I'll set my alarm for 7, knowing I'm going to read every tweet that has been tweeted and like every picture that's been instagrammed before I'll drag my butt out of bed.

THREE. Know your goal before you hit the pavement. When it's early and I'm tired, it's really easy for me to shorten my run by a mile or so, or go for easy pace miles instead of speed work like I'd wanted. Knowing your goals ahead of time helps you stick to it and not waffle once you're actually out there.

FOUR. Try to eat something before you go. Especially if the run is longer than your comfortable distance. For me, that usually means I can get away with not eating before a half-hour run because that's about the greatest amount that I don't feel the need to prepare too much for. But any more than that, I know I'm going to get hungry while I'm out there, and who wants to end a run because they got too hungry? Something small works, like a piece of toast with peanut butter. Avoid dairy.

FIVE. Set a back up alarm for the time you have to get up if you don't make it out. I've done it -- snoozed all three running alarms and only actually gotten up when I had to get ready for work. And that's okay. Sometimes sleep is more important. That's why I set the extra alarm, just in case, so I don't end up missing work.

Bonus tip: Freeze smoothies ahead of time and set them out right before you leave for your run. They thaw while you're out there and then you have breakfast all ready when you come home!

Do any of you consistently work out in the mornings? What gets you going?


8 comments:

Kate said...

Good tips! I told myself I was going to try to start running in the morning before work. But I am usually AT work by 7:15, so I have to just accept that I am never going to wake up early enough to run AND get ready for work in time. It just won't happen.

I always feel so much more accomplished if I wake up and run first thing though. It just puts me in a good place knowing that I've already knocked out some miles before I do anything else.

Kaitlin said...

Love those tips, I definitely need them now that training has begun!

Amy said...

great great tips!
I need to get back to running more often...which means i need to buy new shoes...bleh.

Tamara said...

Yes on all these tips!#5 is so true. I always do the same thing, say I can get it done in 15 minutes and then it's 30 minutes later.

I love your bonus tip too - never thought of doing that!

racingbananas.com said...

I totally agree! I actually sleep in my running clothes and have my banana ready so I can get out the door as soon as possible. And I've started setting my alarm earlier - you're totally right, the time seems to fly by a lot faster at 5am!

Amanda said...

Great post! I run in the mornings a lot, and I think you're spot on with these tips. Way to go on your 10-miler! I had one myself on Saturday. Felt good to get it done.

Kristen said...

Great tips! I'll have to remember the dairy since I want to get into the habit of running in the morning, since that's when my 15K is...ya know? Though my morning is really evening. ;) I usually always snack on almonds before I go run, which seems to help!

Holly said...

I really love running in the morning, because it's usually a lot cooler and less humid than the later parts of the day, but it is SO HARD to do that!! I know all the tricks to getting up, but I always end up falling back asleep :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...