Saturday, August 10, 2013

Happy birthday, Emily!

It's really easy to get caught up in the idea you have of someone, especially someone who has always been in your life. When I picture my older sister, Emily, the image I have of her is still from a while ago.
Ok, maybe not this long ago...
Emily can cook super complicated recipes. She does, for fun. (while I limit the recipes I try to ones with less than 10 ingredients and only ingredients I recognize).

She's about to start grad school to prepare for a professional career, but even without that, she has been working post-grad in the same industry for years -- she's already a legit professional.

She bought a car and is about to go on her own health insurance. Shoot, she even gives back to the community by fostering kitties from the humane society.

And it's been a while since I've adjusted my picture of her. To me, she's still the same girl who, at bar closing time on her 21st birthday, danced around the bar every time someone said her name instead of getting in the car like we were asking her to.

But today. Today is her birthday. She's a real adult now. Solidly mid-twenties. So strange.

I have followed in Emily's footsteps a lot in my life -- as little sisters do. I was 20 before I had a job where Emily hadn't worked first. A huge reason I came to KU is because Emily seemed SO EXCITED to have me here. She's influenced my taste in sports, in music (though I just can't get into all her techno), in wine, in books. In everything.

But I think she's a pretty good person to be following.



Happy birthday, Em. Hope it's great.

3 comments:

Breenah said...

Aw, this is such a sweet post!

Ashley @TheCreamToMyCoffee said...

That is such a cute picture of you and your sister!

Katrin said...

Happy birthday to your sister! Love the pictures of you! She sounds like an amazing person! Love that she is fostering cats!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...