Monday, July 22, 2013

Running slower -- Training Tuesday

Hey friends! It's Tuesday again, and around here that means I talk about my training! If you're working toward any kind of healthy living goal, feel free to link up and share your progress. Go on, brag about yourself a little!



Workouts this week:
Tuesday: Two miles -- had to really talk myself into this one.
Wednesday: Rested
Thursday: Intervals!
Friday: Tempo run!
Saturday: Took a walk :)
Sunday: Seven miles -- difficult but I felt SO GOOD after.
Monday: Rested


Running slower

I had an epiphany last week while I was running.

I've had the function of my app that reads out my pace while I run turned off for a while -- I turned it off when I was having sucky long runs a while back and have kept it off because it seemed to help.

Even so, at the end of a run, I wanna see that I've run it fast, you know? My success has still been tied up in my pace.

Well, I had an epiphany last week while I was running that running slower is a strategy I should be practicing. I'm not talking about any specific pace here -- just running slower than a pace I'd be excited about, actually slowing it down on purpose.

See, one of my goals for my next half is to run it without walking (or only walking through the aid stations). I'm going to try not to set a time goal because I think that if I can run without walking, I'll beat my first time. And if not, I think I'll still feel better about the race overall.

ANYWAY.

So I realized last week that I should be practicing running slower because I am going to want to stop and walk during my race. I know I will. But if I can get good at slowing it down, at running a slower pace so that I can restore my energy without walking.

So that's what I'm trying to do now. I've been supposed to be doing this (awful sentence structure -- go with it) this whole time -- twice a week my runs are supposed to be at an "easy" pace -- but I haven't been able to push past that mental barrier of wanting to run faster faster faster. I'm hoping now that I can see it as strategy, I can practice it.

So that's where I'm at now! I've got 10k race coming up this weekend and I'm pretty excited about it! Wish me luck :)

How's your training going?


6 comments:

jaime said...

My training is so-so. I think I have a plan for my next (next) race. I'm running a 5k this weekend, but I need to get motivated to do another (bigger) race and actually have a training plan. Every run this past week has been sluggish and I just haven't wanted to be out there. I need to turn that around soon.

Good luck on your 10k! And I agree that running slower is sometimes better. I've tried to focus on distance versus time in the past, and it definitely helped.

Katrin said...

I am not very motivated right now. :( It is way too hot and I just feel so tired after a couple of minutes. I can't help myself. But you are right, I should run slower so that I don't have to stop running after a while...

NIGHT OWL VENTING said...

sounds like I need to motivate my butt and get it in gear

pinkowl07.blogspot.com

Tamara said...

I'm excited to hear about your 10k! You're going to do great!

I think a lot of people get wrapped up in their pace and how it affects their success. I know I do and it's definitely hard to overcome. I've read a lot of things that have said running slower helps speed you up. And so does heart rate training - have you looked into that? I have a monitor but I just never use it.

Amanda said...

You'll do great at the 10k! Wait... did you run it this weekend? Am I behind on this post? Now I'm confused. Either way... can't wait to hear about it! :)

Holly said...

That's pretty much what I do. I run a fairly consistent 12-13 minute mile when I'm doing long runs, mostly because if I run any faster I will keel over. And when I ran my half, I ran that consistently for 5.5 miles, and then I stopped to pee and it went downhill. My goal is not to walk on my next half either, except through aid stations if I have to, and running slower will help!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...