Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A happy Training Tuesday!!

Hey friends! It's Tuesday again, and around here that means I talk about my training! If you're working toward any kind of healthy living goal, feel free to link up and share your progress. Go on, brag about yourself a little!



Workouts this week
Tuesday: After all my big talk last Tuesday, I ended up taking a rest day. I was really sore and didn't feel like pushing it.
Wednesday: Intervals! Inside. It was stormy!
Thursday: Three miles outside. Turned off the voice feedback that tells me time and pace and ran with my audiobook going -- and actually kept a really good-for-me pace!
Friday: Rest day.
Saturday: SIX MILES. Woooooooooo.
Sunday: Cross -- I took an hour-long walk and did some hip stretches.
Monday: Two and a half miles. I felt like I was running a lot faster than I actually was.


So last week my Training Tuesday post was all about my crappy-as-of-late long runs and what I planned to do about it. And I'm proud to say I did every dang thing I said I was going to do (stuck to my training schedule, drank a lot of water, turned off the feature that tells me my pace at each mile...) and went out and had an AWESOME long run.

Here's my splits:


To put that in perspective, I've been quitting long runs miles before I'm supposed to or taking lots of walk breaks for weeks. A good pace for me is 10:30 (although I don't like it when I'm around 11, which leaves me very little room for error). Anything faster than that is a GREAT pace.

So after weeks of feeling like a failure to get through all six miles and at a pace that makes me happy?

It was a good run.

And look at those negative splits!

(Negative splits means getting faster on each mile, which I did all but once.)

I did run inside, which is arguably easier (predictable/less harsh conditions, no hills, etc, although the gym here doesn't seem to have air conditioning so it was not too much cooler than outside). And this weekend I won't have that option unless I want to run on a treadmill, which is generally my last resort. But I'm still pumped to have made progress and have completed a long run with a smile on my face. FINALLY.

Have you guys had any workout successes lately? I know Kaitlin recently had a good run after a slump, too! And Katrin went running! Shout out to both of those lovely ladies! :)



5 comments:

Kristen said...

What do you use to track the miles and time when you run?? I want to get something for when I start training, but I don't want to take my phone since I KNOW I'll drop it eventually. haha

Kate said...

Yay for finally getting in a good long run!

And now that I have my watch, I find myself becoming obsessed with seeing how fast/far I've gone. I'm going to HAVE to make a rule of not using it every run.. or else I'm going to burn myself out!

Amanda said...

I'm developing a pet peeve for people who apologize for taking a rest day. You know what I think? If you don't want to run, don't freaking go running that day! I'm not really talking about you but more about a few other running blogs I read who are always like "man, I really could have done more" when they ran 20+ miles that week or making excuses for why they aren't going to go running. It makes everyone feel like running is a MUST do and makes it less fun than an enjoyable hobby. AH! Anyway, sorry I got all ranty on you. It just kind of came out :) You're doing awesome! Way to nail those negative splits! Also, I'm going to be hosting a linkup on Monday the 8th called "100 Reasons Running is Awesome." Basically I just want people to link up a post that talks about why they like running. You should write one and link up :)

Kaitlin said...

Hey thanks for the shoutout! :) Embarrassing fact - I did not actually know what "negative splits" meant until this post...so thanks for that too! Haha! Great to hear that you had a good six miler!

jaime said...

Yay for getting in a good run! A good run equals a good day. Love it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...