Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The "why" of running + Training Tuesday

Hey friends! It's Tuesday again, and around here that means I talk about my training! If you're working toward any kind of healthy living goal, feel free to link up and share your progress. Go on, brag about yourself a little!



Workouts this week
Tuesday Rest
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Three miles
Friday Rest
Saturday Rest
Sunday Five miles
Monday Two and a half miles

Too many rest days in there... but really I only missed one run. I'm making it my goal this week to do EVERY planned work out -- cross training and all. All my work chaos is done and I have no more excuses. It's going to happen. It has GOT to happen.

I've had a lot of tough runs lately. Last Sunday, it was tough physically -- I got a little past the halfway point and had to stop from being dizzy.

This Sunday, it was tough mentally. I just kept thinking, why am I doing this? I can't run five miles, and next week I'm not going to be able to run six miles, let alone the 13 I'm supposed to do at the end of all this. Why bother?

Even my "shorter" runs have been tough for me lately -- I don't want to get out in the first place, or I want to take walk breaks halfway through, or I'm hit with the why bother again.

This Sunday, after my mentally grueling run, I started trying to make a list of the reasons why I run. I've seen this done on other blogs before, so I'm sorry if it's no fun to read, but I think I need it. I've got to remind myself of the reasons I run right now to keep myself going so that, eventually, it can feel good again.

Why I run


I run so I can eat more ice cream with less guilt.

I run because I like the way I look in my running clothes.

I run because it helps me like the way I look in all my clothes.

I run because I love to come home and tell Pat about how far or fast I got.

I run so I can put a little star sticker on my training plan.

I run because I like going a little bit faster, a little bit farther than what I've done before.

I run because I like knowing I'm doing something not everyone can or is willing to do.

I run because it challenges me.

I run because I lost 18 pounds and want to keep it off.

I run because I like being outside.

I run because races are really fun.

I run because I love my race shirts.

I run so I can see improvement.

I run because it feels good to sweat.

I run because some days it makes me feel invincible. Those days are sometimes rare and hard to remember on the hard days, but they're worth it.

Why do you run?


9 comments:

jaime said...

My RoadId bracelet has the line "I run because I can" on it. Not everyone can run and I can. So I do. It's not always easy for me, but there are days that it does feel easy and those days are SO worth all of the hassle of the bad training runs.

Sara said...

It's normal to question why we do these things to ourselves. I had a bad day last week where I questioned why I even both to work out. My answer: because I can, and I feel better for doing it.

Even if you only run 3 miles instead of 13, you are still doing something, and that says a lot!

Amy said...

girl i've been resting WAY TOO MUCH! Seriously, it's insane. When i get back from vacation it's on!

kaitelug said...

Those are all great reasons to run! :)

Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections said...

Love your reasons! I think knowing your "why" behind something that you could easily just quit on really helps you stay motivated. Good luck with getting all your workouts in!

Tamara said...

This is such a great post! I think we all need to have something like this to remind is of why we do the things we do.

I run for me, but a lot of it is for Lillie. I want her to grow up active & wanting to be out doing things. I want her to appreciate the things her body is capable of. Because I wasn't for a long time. Never too late though :)

Amanda said...

I run because I love the way I feel when I'm done. I'm sure you know the feeling I'm talking about.

Ech and Will said...

Great reasons for running. I have a motivation problem, but my mom has been pushing me to go for walks/hikes while I'm home so it's good. I'm hoping by the I leave I'll be used to getting out and being active so I'll keep it up when I go home.

Holly said...

I *really* need to write a "why" list for me, too. Because I've been struggling with trying to get back into training mode for my next half!! When is yours?? You are doing so great, even if you skip a run, you're still getting out there!!! Keep it up, Abbey :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...