Monday, May 27, 2013

The last two weeks or so...

Hey friends! It’s been a while! How ARE you?

I’ve been away, in Oregon. Well, not this whole time. Let’s see… the last time I posted was my half marathon recap two Tuesdays ago. Since then…

ONE. I finished and turned in a 15-page paper, officially ending my first year of grad school.

TWO. I packed up and went to Oregon for a week! We flew out Friday the 17th and stayed through the following Thursday. Those days were pretty much travel days, but we spent the rest with Pat’s family. We played with cats a lot.
And I found old pictures of Pat and watched the tape of his 2nd-ish grade musical, in which he had a tearjerker of a solo!
 We also took a day trip to the Oregon coast!

We ended up buying matching(ish) hats from the restaurant we ate at because it was windy and rainy, but the weather definitely didn’t slow us down – we still went everywhere on our list!

This is called the Devil’s Punch Bowl. Water whooshes in and swirls around and it’s really cool!

We also went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. We saw otters being fed and lots of other cool animals, like sea lions and puffins. These guys were probably my favorite of the fish – look at the guy at the top! They would open their mouths and their gills would kinda pop out all red and weird.

Not many of the animals were photogenic, but me and Pat tried to be. :)
Trying to get something cool in the background -- got a shark in the third!
Last stop was Agate Beach/the Yaquina Head Light House. We went there the last time I was in Oregon, too, but last time was at high tide. Pat always told me his favorite was low tide, so we made sure to get there at the right time to see low tide this trip!
During low tide, the water goes out and reveals all these little tide pools. We saw these green tuber creatures that close in when they have food or when they’re out of the water. I threw a seashell into one (and feel slightly guilty) to see part of his body curl up around it. We also saw lots of star fish and mussels!

Some more pics...




THREE. After my trip to Oregon, I had two and a half days in Lawrence – mostly, I was packing! I am now writing to you from Decatur, Illinois! I have a summer internship here and moved in yesterday. My apartment doesn’t have internet yet (booo) so I’m posting from a Panera. I have a one bedroom apartment to myself and several other interns live here in the same building. So far I’ve only explored Decatur a little bit, but I’m sure I’ll get to know the city and the campus better as the summer progresses! For now I’m cleaning and unpacking. :) I start work tomorrow and I’m terrified!

Tell me – what are some of the scariest-but-good-for-you things you’ve ever done? This internship definitely ranks in my top few, along with attending a diversity retreat and starting to walk and run!


9 comments:

Katrin said...

Sounds like a great trip! Devil's Punch Bowl looks awesome and scary! :)
And yay for playing with the cats!
Good luck with the internship! I am sure it will be great!
Scary but good things? Hmm, let me see...white water rafting! I was sooo scared. And mowing to another continent.
Have a great week!

Genna said...

I moved last summer for my internship and it was pretty terrifying! It ends up being an awesome experience though :) and that second to last picture=amazing. I love lighthouses and I would totally teleport there if possible!

jaime said...

After being engaged for 3 years, I called it off a couple of months before the wedding date. I moved into a different apartment a week later (we never lived together.) And I started all over on my own. It was the scariest thing at that time. Since then I think becoming a mom (and the day my husband went back to work, leaving me alone with this tiny human) was the most terrifying thing ever.

LOVE the photos in this post. And the starfish! !!!!! that's all i have to say. :)

Tamara said...

All the photos are wonderful - it looks like had a great time (considering).

And YAY for your internship! That is scary, but you are amazing and have it in the bag. I know you're going to do wonderful things this summer with it!

Ech and Will said...

Yay Oregon! Your pictures are getting me so excited for my trip there next month. I've never been to Devil's Punch Bowl, I'll have to try and make it out there if I get a chance.

Katie said...

We went to the Oregon coast in January for my birthday, and it was such a blast. Looks like you had fun!

Tristan Schlegel said...

Look at that lighthouse pic?! You've got some photog genes in you!

Amanda said...

Decatur!!! I know people there AND I've been there. Boosh.

Holly said...

Your trip looks like fun!!! And congrats on the internship!! I am sure you will have a great time and do so well!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...