Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The end of an era (I bought a car!)

So.... I bought a car last weekend!

I always said I'd have my old car, Betsy, until she died. But, after this trip, my family kind of decided that waiting for Betsy to just stop working was a little too stressful, and we began car shopping.

Last Friday, I went to a local dealership just to look and left in a new-to-me car!

It actually was really sad for me to give Betsy up. A week before, I thought I was going to buy a different car (which someone else ended up scooping out from under me) and I actually started crying thinking of giving Bets up. She's been really good to me -- the car I've had since I was 16.

She definitely had personality -- if you unlocked her with the button on the fab, the alarm went off, so you had to use the key. I always told Pat that you had to treat Betsy like a lady! She had a few other quirks as well.

I know that it's weird to get sentimental over a car but eight years is a long time. I lived a lot of my life in that car -- or sitting on -- and I loved her a lot. So here's to Betsy. Here's to shoving the entire high school newspaper team into one car to sell advertising. Here's to smoothies at Sonic and drive-in movies perched on her hood. Here's to the trips between college and home, the trips to the airport, the trips to friends' houses, and the trips to class. Bets, you were loved and will be missed!

All that being said -- I'm having a lot of fun driving a car that wasn't made in the 90s! I have a sun roof! And seat warmers! My new car was named for one of my favorite adventure seekers --

so I'm pleased to introduce you to Ellie the car!

Are any of you weirdly attached to your cars or other inanimate objects? I'd love to hear about it!


16 comments:

Katrin said...

Nice to meet you, Ellie! :)

And I took pictures with my old car too. They look exactly like your pictures! I cried so much when my first car died! It was horrible!

Sara said...

Love the new ride, girl!

I was very attached to my very first car, even though I didn't have it for very long. But still, it was my first car! It had no CD/tape player, but it ran like a beast and got me from point A to point B. I bawled when we sold that thing!

jaime said...

I bought my car in 2002 (it was a 2001) and I gave it up this past November. I had the car exactly 10 years and ended up buying my brother's car (we are such a Saturn family, and I bought his Saturn.) I was super sad and then the check engine light came on while I was driving it to the dealership.

All I could think as I left it at the dealership was "sucker."

Kate said...

I'm on my 3rd car. (one wreck, one lemon, and then the current one.)

My first car? Omg. I was unbelievably attached. I loved it more than I probably should have. And then a guy crossed the center line and hit me. It did a lot of damage (I was fine). I was obviously shaken up by the wreck. My arm was burned by the airbag, but I was taking it all like a trooper. UNTIL.. the wrecker guy came over to me and completely without emotion says, "Uh, that your car? Just so you know. That baby is totaled." I CRIED MY EYES OUT.
And that night my dad was like, "It's ok. It's a car. But I know you were in love with it. So if you could have your choice of your next car what would it be? We can start looking for a new one.." And I just started crying again and said, "I don't want a new one. I want THAT one!"
I was a bit dramatic. But I was so SO attached to it!

So there's my story.

Love your new car. :)

thesavedrunner said...

So glad to hear you got a new car! I know that old cars can definitely be stressful! I don't know if I have any inanimate objects I am weirdly attached to, but I don't like to go anywhere without my running shoes, so does that count? :)

Amy said...

Loving Ellie (and the name!)
I know exactly what you mean...
...i'm actually on my 3rd car.
My first car got totaled, and then i got my second car my junior year of high school...and had it through graduating college...and then got a new (to me) car in 2010.
I was very sentimental of my old Honda...loved that thing. SO MANY memories!

Leslie said...

When I got a new car I was so sad to leave mine behind, which was Betsy too! Driving away from the dealership I felt like she was watching me because they had backed her into a parking spot out front. It felt SO wrong! haha! There were so many memories in that car, because like you I had had her all through high school and half of college.. so she grew up with me! But I Love your new one!

Jordan said...

Congratulations on your new car! I just replaced my old one too and it has been nice driving around a new updated car! The technology is amazing, haha. Congrats!

Kristen said...

Ha the technology is definitely the biggest improvement! I honestly wasn't that sad to see Ax Wound go, though she served me well. Genevieve though is the one I adore. :)

whosmydaddy said...

I had a stick shift Ford Explorer named Roux (after Johnny Depp's character in Chocolat.) I loved that thing. But then the electrical system went kaput and that was just not worth fixing.

So I got a mini cooper.

Then I had kids. So bye, bye awesome mini.

So sad.

Jess @ Blonde Meets World said...

Congrats on your new car! Ellie sure is cute! :-)

I've never actually owned a car, but I worked for and am part of a car sharing service and there's one car near my house that I always ALWAYS drove and when they "retired" her I was actually pretty upset! They all come with their own nametag already, and I swear they really do have personalities!!

Cassy said...

SEATWARMERS?!?! Fancy! I'm sorry about Betsy. While I've not kept a car for eight years, I have had to let one go that I really, really loved :(
But a huge congrats on the new one! Pretty!! And, I'm a Honda convert. Hondas 4 lyf!

Ivo Beutler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Basil Glenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Basil Glenn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Arlyne Nelms said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...