Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Last pre-half marathon Training Tuesday

Hi friends!

It's time for Training Tuesday! Link up here and grab a button, if you want. :)





I'm not going to go into my workouts for this week. I'm antsy and in my taper week. Ain't nobody got time for that. It's been pretty standard except that my long run this weekend was 5 miles instead of you know like 11 or 12.

But ya'll. How can I talk about this week when all that's on my mind is Saturday?

MY RACE IS SATURDAY.

I can't believe it's almost here and all I think about during my training runs now is the race. I've already been stressed about packing (packing is NOT my strong suit) and wondered if I should start my suitcase while I'm thinking of all the things I'm sure I will forget. I think, How should I pace my race? Will I go out too fast? What's this deal about race times being 30 seconds faster than training times? Do I need to make that happen or will it happen naturally?

Here's the schedule of events for this weekend:

Friday: Pat and I will head home probably as soon as we wake up and eat. I'll drag him and maybe Anna to the expo, which I forgot about until yesterday, so that should be pretty fun. I'll try to go to bed as early as possible.

Saturday: My race starts at 7:00 am. SEVEN AM. So, you know, I'll probably wake up at like four or something. Actually I haven't decided what time I'll wake up, but I'll try to choke down some food and then head to the start line. My book says to be about an hour early.

The starting gun will go off and then I'll run for 13.1 miles and then I'll collapse and eat a smoothie because they have those at the finish line.

Saturday night I'm hanging out with my friend Layne, who got me into this mess in the first place. :)

So, I started this journey forEVER ago with some goals for training:

The first was "hit all my long runs." If you read last week, you know I'm not sure if I did that or not. I got out there for all my long runs, but I quit my last long run early and sat in the grass in front of a bank until Pat came and got me. So, you know, not a super successful run.

Run at least 85% of my total runs. I actually didn't think that would be a problem. I think I've missed 6 runs at this point? I was allowed to miss 8. So, cut it close, but made it. I'm really glad I had this built into my goals because having perfect training was too much pressure, and life happens, and some weeks I was just tired. So it was nice to be able to take a break without beating myself up too much.

Know myself by race day. Basically, I wanted to know what to eat, drink, wear and do to make my run successful, and I think I know as much as you can. I know what I'm going to eat the day of and the night before and I have a couple options of what I'm going to wear, depending on the temperature at start time. I'm still not sure 100% about what pace to run, but that's race jitters more than not knowing what I'm capable of.


As far as goals for the actual race, first time half racers are usually advised to not have a time goal.

But of course I have a super secret time goal that I will tell you after the race if I get it. :)

Other than that, my goals are pretty simple: get a good-ish night's sleep the night before, make it to the start line on time, and finish.

Oh, and ENJOY it. This is my only first half marathon ever. It might be the only one I have my parents or either parent at, and Pat. My college bff will also be running, though we probably won't stick together the whole time, and my high school bff might be there to see me run.


That's a whole lot of good wrapped up in one day, folks.

So the next Training Tuesday, it'll all be over. And I'll have a shiny medal. And an etched wine glass, which you KNOW I'm going to use for everything -- water, milk, milkshakes, smoothies. Anything I drink for, oh, the next year is going to be in that dang wine glass.

Think of me on Saturday! :)


13 comments:

Kate said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S FINALLY TIME!! I'm so excited for you! I love that you have someone to run the race with. I feel like I'd be so much more excited about races if I wasn't doing them by myself all the time.

kljhaerlghb. Can't wait to hear about how the race went!

Adrienne said...

Good luck!!! You're going to be great! Eat a big plate of pasta the night before!

You will most likely run faster than usual because of the excitement of race day, I hope it's a good one!

Here are 3 things I learned on my first 1/2 marathon!

1. Pace yourself for the first 6-9 miles, then run your heart out! You don't want to get burnt out early- as fun as the race might be.

2. I'm sure you already are, but make sure you bring a little of your own food. They'll provide shot blocks/jelly beans/Gu's a lot, but it's not consistent.

3. Maybe you know these two, but when you hit a water station, go all the way to the end, that's the least congested part and you can get out faster. Also, if you squish your cup into a little triangle, you can create a spout- which keeps water in your mouth and not up your nose. ;)

Hahaha, hopefully this is helpful, but maybe you already know it all! Good luuuck!!!!

Leslie said...

I can't believe it's already here!! I still remember when you first signed up for it! You're going to do AWESOME, I believe it. When you start out you'll get that pace you're used to and it won't be a problem. You've trained, you've put in the time, and your adrenaline will get you through it. You're READY!

At my half I kind of started off scoping the crowd I was running in for someone that seemed to go my pace, and stuck behind this one girl for most of the race. I didn't have a friend to stay with the whole time like you, but it definitely helped me keep a consistent pace.

And around mile 11 of mine I stopped and walked for a brief moment as I drank my water, thinking that would make my knees hurt a little less.. but it didn't. It hurts much worse to stop running and then start back.

Best of luck to you!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!!

Sara said...

GOOD LUCK! I know you'll do great! You should be proud of yourself regardless of times and everything else. Girl, your running A HALF MARATHON! That in intself deserves tons of praise. You've worked your ass off for this, so you better celebrate your ass off after this, too! ;-) Sending lots of good vibes your way for the weekend!!!

Jordan said...

Can't believe it's finally here! I wish you all the luck in the world! I'm sure you'll do great. Can't wait to hear about it!

Katrin said...

Good luck for Saturday! I am sure everything will be great! Can't wait to hear about your race!

Layne said...

woo! woo! woo! woo!
you're going to do so great! I can't wait to see you, pants!! also, even if I was encouraging of this "mess" I think you're enjoying it!
miss you love you can't wait for fire and puppies but not puppies in the fire. kbye.

Breenah said...

This is so exciting! You're gonna do great :)
And I don't think it's bad to have a goal as long as it's realistic.

jaime said...

SO exciting!! Enjoy every minute of it, wear your medal proudly all day Saturday and Sunday (maybe even Monday) and ROCK that wine glass! :)

Amy said...

Snap snap SNAP!!!
I can't believe it's this Saturday, you're going to beast it!
Seriously you've been training so hard, and being consistent...Abbey i'm so proud of you!

p.s. i totally WROTE a post for training tuesday...i just somehow forgot to hit "publish"....gah story of my life!

Amanda said...

Can't wait to read the recap! Good luck!

Tamara said...

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S HERE! It feels like just the other day you were signing up. Time flies when you're kicking pavements ass, right?

As far as packing - I know it will sound ridiculous but take everything & anything you think of. It helped me in both of my out-of-town ones because while it was a beast to carry around, it eased my mind that if something ripped I had another.

Expo: Enjoy it! Hopefully they'll have some really great booths & you'll get some free products to try. One time we came home with like 8 bottles of protein drinks that my husband loves but our wallets do not. He was way happy about it.

As far as race pace: I say just go with what feels good to you. With my first, I had every intention of just enjoying it and I'm so glad I didn't push or have a time limit because I was able to take it all in. I would gauge how you feel at each 5k point & go from there. Feeling great? Speed up 5-20 seconds per mile! Feeling on the edge? Stick at your current pace. Feeling like you're going to throw up? Cut back 5-20 seconds.

You're going to do wonderful & this will be your only FIRST one, just soak it all up - it will honestly be all over before you realize it.

And drink the FUCK out of that smoothie. You deserve it.

Kaitlyn's Life and Blogs said...

Omg!! It is here!!!! Ahhhh!!!!! I can't believe it. I remember when you tweeted and I was like omg abbey!!
You can do this and you can rock this!! I am so so so proud of you!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...