Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Happy birthday, Dad!

Last week, I told my friend Ashley that I might go home this past weekend. Today is my dad's 60th birthday, and Emily and I wanted to surprise him.

My mom had called me about a month ago, wanting to get ideas for birthday presents, but none of us had been able to think of anything. We wanted something big and wonderful and amazing. I mean, 60 is a big deal. And my dad is very awesome. But none of us had any strokes of genius.

When I told Ashley it was his birthday and we still needed a present, she said, "Get him a steak. That's what I did." And then I told her it was his 60th, and she said, "Get him 60 steaks?"

With no better ideas, Emily and I headed home, stopping at a grocery store to pick up steak, potatoes, asparagus and beer. We stuck a ribbon on the six pack and rang the doorbell.

*******************

I wish I had thought of something amazing to give my dad for this birthday, because he is so deserving.

My dad checks my oil and my windshield wiper fluid and my tire pressure every time I'm home. He has patiently tried to teach my all of these skills to no avail. 

He cleans my room before I come home and makes sure the heat or A/C is turned on and that I have blankets.

He sends me a text to celebrate every Friday, and he is my favorite person to text about pretty much anything.
When it was almost Thanksgiving break
When I signed up for my half
When I was terrified because I was taking 26 students
on an overnight, out-of-state trip

My dad has worked so hard at every job he's ever had, even though he's had some miserable jobs, because he loves us and wants to support our family.


My dad deserves the best birthday in the world. He deserves all the presents we could think of and all the presents we didn't think of. He deserves a much better post than this (like the one I wrote last year).

*******************

My dad told my mom that me and Emily coming home for his birthday was the best present he could have ever gotten. 

And if that doesn't tell you what kind of person he is -- if that doesn't show just how much he deserves the happiest of birthdays... well. I don't know what else to say. Because those are the words of a man who loves his family. And we most definitely love him back.


Happy birthday, Wolf.

13 comments:

Katrin said...

Aww, this is such a beautiful post, Abbey! Your Dad sounds like such a wonderful person!
Happy birthday, Abbey's Dad!

Ech and Will said...

This is such a sweet post. Happy Birthday to your dad!

Becky said...

I love that you and your Dad are so close! My Dad and I are close as well, and it is so special to me!

Sara said...

Awww, this is so sweet Abbey! Happy birthday to your dad! :-)

Dara said...

how sweet, happy birthday!

Breenah said...

So sweet :D I'd say this is a pretty good present too!

Kate said...

Love this! I am such a Daddy's girl. :P

I can't imagine my dad ever sending me a text though. I'm lucky if his cell phone is even on. ha!
And I once asked my dad to teach me how to change my oil, but he kept avoiding it. I'm sure he'll never admit it, but I feel like he won't teach me just because he LIKES to do stuff for me.

Gotta love Dads. Happy birthday to yours!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! He sounds awesome!!! !:) :)
And those text messages are amazing
"i just wanted to use the eyes" haha.

JAPAN SAMURAI said...

Hello
Happy Birthday.
Dad is full of happiness.
From Japan.
Ryoma Sakamoto.

Kaitlyn said...

Aww, your relationship with your dad sounds so wonderful. You are a very lucky girl! What a funny coincidence, my dad's birthday was yesterday. It makes me teary to be apart from him!

Tamara said...

Happy late Birthday Abbey's Dad! You're awesomesauce!

Holly said...

This post made me tear up! Dad's are the best :) I hope yours had a fabulous birthday!!!

KSCoffeeGirl said...

I'm late, as usual, but I love your birthday wish posts for your family! Especially for your dad. He's a pretty awesome guy and you definitely take after him!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...