Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Thoughts on eight miles: Training Tuesdays

Hi friends!

It's Training Tuesday again! I'm using it to track my half marathon training, but if you have any goal you've been working on, feel free to join me and Tamara in the fun. We want to congratulate you!

Link up here and grab a button, if you want. :)



Workouts this week:
Tuesday: Typically this would be interval day, but it was kind of wet weather out and I was scared of slipping if I ran too fast, so I opted for an easy three miles instead (easy meaning an easy pace, not that the miles were easy).
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: Rest day
Friday: Birthday! Ran a misty two miles
Saturday: Snow. Merfed. I was supposed to run eight but had to rearrange my schedule and stick it somewhere else.
Sunday: More snow. Three treadmill miles. Treadmills are THE WORST.
Monday: Eight miles. Inside. Fortunately on the track rather than a treadmill. But still. Yuck.

Pits of the week: 
I know I've said it a lot, but I am so over winter. An eight mile indoor run is no fun. And neither are treadmill runs.

Peaks of the week:
For my birthday, I bought myself some new running gear! None of it is too super exciting, but it was all stuff I needed. I got an armstrap thingy for my iPhone, a water bottle like this to carry with me on long training runs, some sweat-wicking socks and some Gu and other energy supplements for long runs. I'm hoping to do some reviews after I've tried it all out for a while!


And now, I'd like to share with you my thoughts during and after my eight-mile run. 


First off, it went really really well. I maintained between a 10:24 and 10:42 pace the whole run, even allowing for a couple stops at the water fountain! That's about my pace during any run I go on. I finished in 1:24. What this tells me is that I have it in me to really kick it up a few notches during my shorter runs because if I can maintain that pace for eight miles, I should be able to do a faster pace for three.

No one is my friend when I'm running an indoor track. I think a lot of cuss words and insults in my head when I'm running on an indoor track. Like, PICK A LANE AND STAY IN IT. And PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU'RE GOING. And GET OFF YOUR DANG PHONE AND STICK TO ONE LANE OR I'M GOING TO RUN RIGHT OVER YOU.

I tried a Gu after the fifth mile. After hearing all about it from other runners, I was pleasantly surprised. Not that I want to eat it constantly. I just expected it to be the worst thing of my life and it wasn't.

And for the last three miles, my thoughts sounded about like this: Less than three miles left. Less than three miles left. Less than three miles left. Only two miles left! Less than two miles left. (which, really, is incredible since I never thought I'd be running more than two miles at a time.)

But after? After my thoughts went a little like this:

I am REALLY REALLY hungry.
Or maybe I'm going to puke?
Are those cramps? What's happening in my abdomen right now?
THESE STAIRS ARE THE HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE EVER.
Water please!
Oh wait, maybe I really am going to puke.
Now I'm breathing really hard again. Really? Like ten minutes later?
OUCH LEGS.

And then I went home and flopped on the couch and ate spaghetti.


That, my friends, is the real life truth of running eight miles.

Sorry this post is up kind of late! I hope you're all having a wonderful week so far! 
I was a big fat failure last week and still need to catch up and comment on your posts. I promise I'll be better!


7 comments:

Tamara said...

I have the same water bottle in pink! TWINSIES!

Also, how you described your after 8 miles is EXACTLY how my first 8 miles ever went. I did it on the dreadmill and it was miserable.

I hate it whenever I do a hard workout and then have to go up the stairs. I won't lie - I've totally taken the elevator before to the 2nd floor after a hard workout.

The next day after a run is when I'm starving all the time. I'm pretty sure on Sunday I tried to eat Lillie. Yep, I could eat a small child.

I also really like the GU energy gels (it's what I use consistently). My favorite flavor flav is peanut butter. But they don't carry that at my grocery store & I refuse to make an extra trip somewhere, so I usually just have chocolate.

I've tried shotblocks before and they taste great, but I just don't like the way they stick to my teeth when running.

Congratulations on 8 miles! You're getting so close!



Kate said...

Yeah, this totally has me looking forward to the day I'm running 8 miles. ;)

But seriously. I'm so proud of you!

I'm also super excited about the potential reviews. I've read about people who swear by using the energy stuff, and some who don't want to use it at all.
And I'm always on the fence about it. (obviously I'm not quite running far enough for it to matter yet) But I'm curious about it all for sure.

Breenah said...

I didn't write a post for today, but I'll share that I actually ran for three straight minutes! Never have I done that before. Then I came home and made dinner, no sitting down. I felt pretty BA. However, the next day your ending description pretty much fit. But it was colder so I'm gonna blame that. This snow needs to VAMANOS.

Ech and Will said...

I feel like I need to get up off my butt and go for a run after reading this post!

jaime said...

Try the Gu chews or even the Gatorade chews (you can find them at Target, with the Gatorade.) I find that they go down better than the Gu gels.

I hate running on treadmills. And an indoor track would also not be my friend, though I did run indoor track back in high school (a long, long time ago.) :)

Amy said...

and then i ate spaghetti...
that was amazing.
GIRL i am seriously so proud of you! 8 miles...insane...seriously, insanely awesome
Get it girl!
and stupid people not getting our of your way!

Holly said...

Ooo I was looking at getting one of those water bottles! Do you like it??

Hahaha I feel the same way when I'm running inside...I HATE our indoor track because it's filled with old people or teenagers. Yesterday, a girl literally walked right into me going the OPPOSITE way in the center lane to reach the door that was on the OUTSIDE lane...and she was looking down at her ipod and didn't care. WTF?!

I'm so impressed you can do around 10:30 paces...I want to be down to that, but I'm happy with my 11:12!!

I want to try an energy thing during a long run, maybe this weekend. I heard Honey Stinger chews are good so I might get those. So you did one even though you were just running inside? I'd love to really know if it worked.

How far have you run before you did 8 miles? I am up to 4 with very little walking, but I'd like to be at least to 4 with NO walking at all. LOL I have the same thoughts when I'm getting to the end of my runs, too!! Haha. It's all in the head :)

I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY after I run.
ALWAYS.
I want to eat an elephant. Swear.

You're so awesome!!! Keep it up!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...