Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Acting As If: Training Tuesdays

Hi friends!

It's training Tuesday again! I'm using it to track my half marathon training, but if you have any goal you've been working on, feel free to join me and Tamara in the fun. We want to congratulate you!

Link up here and grab a button, if you want. :)



Workouts this week:
Tuesday: 2.15 miles of intervals. I remember I cut the cool-down run short... don't remember why. Was there a basketball game maybe?
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: Rest day
Friday: Another unintentional rest day. Looks like Fridays are hard days for me to run -- I'm always so tired at the end of the week!
Saturday: Seven miles!
Sunday: Didn't do anything... whoops. Was supposed to make up Friday's run and/or crosstrain. I did neither.
Monday: Three miles outside!

Pits of the week: 
Obviously I missed a run this week. Womp womp. I didn't feel up to it Friday -- work has still been crazy -- and my hip felt funny after my long run. I'm wondering if I gave myself too much lenience with my goals -- I'm allowed to miss a certain number of runs as long as they aren't my long runs. But at the same time, I know life is crazy and I'm not really that mad at myself for missing the run. So... yup.

Peaks of the week:
Guys, my seven miles went really, really well. Like, it was hard, but not nearly as hard as six miles were the first time I did that. My pace was pretty consistent. My last mile was super fast (for me anyway) at 9:45. The rest of my miles were all in between 10:25 and 10:47. There were a few crazy hills thrown in there, but I'm not sure if they correlate with the longer times or not.


I don't have a whole lot of an extra topic today. But I'm about to ramble pretty hard core. This is your fair warning.

A lot of what I've been thinking about is the ways running treats me on different days.

There are some days when the last thing I want to do in the world is put my running shoes on. Where the only thing that gets me out that door is the damn sticker chart I made and the fact that I posted my goals on here.

Training can be another stress in my life, another deadline to meet, another time sucker that keeps me from my loved ones. I wonder sometimes (especially on long runs inside -- the WORST) why I'm doing this.

But almost every time, putting on my running clothes is all I need to do. Once I suit up -- I'm in the spandex, I'm in the shoes, my hair is back -- there's nothing to do but go. Just run, one foot in front of the other.

A lot of times, when I have no motivation, no energy -- that's when it comes to me, when I put on my running clothes. My mom always told me and my sisters to Act As If. Not confident going into the 8th grade formal? Act As If you are, and people will believe it. Not sure you're going to win over the interview panel? Act As If.

Not sure you can make it out the door? Act As If.

Obviously, I missed a run this week. I could use some of my own advice.

But I think putting all of this out here -- telling you all my goals, and whether I actually make a run or not -- some of that is Acting As If. As if I have my act together and all this figured out and it's going to be a breeze.

I hope none of you look at this blog and think training has been a breeze so far.

Real talk: right now I have an ache in my right hip. I didn't want to run today and I missed a run yesterday. I feel like I need a bunch of new running gear before my next run, I still haven't figured out to "fuel" right, and I'm probably going to show up at the local running store this week and leave with a bunch less money in my bank account.

My point is, some days I'm a hot mess.

But today, I got home -- an hour late, after waking up early to take Pat to the airport (which is my least favorite activity) -- and I put on my running clothes. I laced up my running shoes, and I ran.

And it was one of those dream runs that leave you energized and feeling flawless and ready to take on the world. Man I wish I could channel that feeling when I really need it.

Because sometimes training is just what I need, you know?

Ramble ramble ramble. It's been a long day, folks. But since I'm using this as pretty much the only way to document my training and my thoughts throughout, there it is.

Hope you're all having a wonderful week. Think good thoughts for me at work this week -- let's all hope I make it to 24, mmmmkay?



9 comments:

Amy said...

girl....YES.
Seriously. Last night i NEEDED to work out, and i didn't because i was too tired, i was too _______, whatever.
Act as if...such great advice.
Training, making things a lifestyle, it is HARD work...and it isn't easy.
Props to you for being honest, really honest, with where you are in this journey!

Jordan said...

After a busy weekend, the last thing I wanted to do was go to yoga after work - especially because I also needed to get caught up on cleaning/laundry! But I went anyways and I walked out of these feeling amazing! Sometimes you just have to suck it up and go. It's worth it in the end no matter what!

Amanda said...

baaaahhh yes. It's crazy how my motivation and perspecitve can fluxuate sooo much from one run to the next. And you talking about your hip is somewhat comforting for me (sorry..?) because I have had some sore spots and some aches and pains and I'm like, "is this normal!? no one talks about this!" so thatnk you for being honest about being a hot mess because it makes me feel like I'm not the only one. And I feel like I can breathe again. aaand congrats on a stellar 7 mile run with a killer last mile. what lese can I say? you're shutting. it. down.

jaime said...

Congrats on the 7-miler! I've had many weeks of less-than-stellar workouts, and I'm determined that this next week will be much better. I've taken two weeks off since my marathon and now I need to step it back up to be prepared for my half next month. It's so difficult some days, but thankfully the weather is changing (at least here) and I want to be out there! :)

Kate said...

It's always so reassuring to know that I'm no the only one that has days where I almost dread lacing up my shoes.

It's like, I love to run. But sometimes it's just one more thing to add on to my to do list. And I hate when I feel like that!
But it's almost nice knowing that I'm not the only one that sometimes just finds myself not wanting to run. And that it's ok!

Katie said...

P.S. I went running today. And the first thing I thought was, "I'm gonna have to tell Abbey." I ran a 13 minute mile, but hey, I did it! Internet high five!

Tamara said...

As much as I love to motivate, sometimes I just don't have it in me to do it to myself. Getting ready to go run sometimes just seems like a chore, and it takes me a while to lace up my shoes too. Act as if - is totally right. Because once I change there's no way I'm not doing something, because then that's just extra lazy!
So glad your 7 miler went really well!

Rachael said...

I love the "act as if" idea!! I just want to say it's SO awesome you can run 7 miles like it's no big thang. I can barely run a mile!!

Becky said...

I love hearing when other people have unexpected rest days too! I always feel guilty when I get busy and have to take these unplanned rest days, but I know with life that just happens! I am really trying to work on getting rid of my rest day guilt!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...