Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sweetheart Run 5k recap!

Hey friends!

So last Friday night, we were at our house playing cards and my roommate came home. In the 15 seconds the door was open I saw it.

Snow.

In a matter of less than an hour it snowed probably at least an inch and a half. I don't hate snow. In fact one of my favorite runs ever was while it was snowing.

But I had a 5k scheduled for the next morning and I'd never run with snow on the ground before. Only before it "stuck."

So even though all week I'd kind of forgotten about my 5k all week, in the last 20 hours before I ran, I started getting suuuper anxious.

What if I slipped and fell? What if I injured myself? I won't be able to train for my half! and on and on.

In the morning I looked up the race website and refreshed the page over and over to make sure it wasn't cancelled, but it wasn't, so I headed out on slippery roads to the start line.

What I wore:
It was supposed to be 27 degrees during my run, so I laid out my clothes based on my experience from winter break: my running leggings, sweatpants to wear over them, a long sleeve t-shirt and a hoodie to wear over that.

In the morning, I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to wear still and changed my mind -- I put on a long sleeve technical shirt (made of a different material that's designed for running) and put on my coat, but I packed a hoodie and long sleeve t-shirt just in case.

I ended up wearing the long-sleeve T over the tech shirt and it was perfect. I work my hobo gloves (absolutely necessary!) and my hat, but I took that off halfway through.

Before the race:
My nerves were stretched just a liiiittle bit more when I headed toward the start line -- it was WAY slippery. But there were lots of people.

And I saw the BEST race sign EVER.

Lots of people were dressed up Valentines-y. And I always love the atmosphere at 5ks -- a mix of serious runners and people there just for fun or because they support the cause.

The race:
All in all, running in the snow wasn't that bad. It probably took me a mile to convince myself I wasn't going to bust my ass slipping on ice. I tried to stick to the parts of the snow that didn't look too packed-down -- the parts that still looked crunchy. :) It also helped that it was a suuuper flat course. No slippery hills to mess with.
The course, right by the start/finish line -- after I finished, when the snow was mostly trampled :)
I really, really zoned out at this race. Honestly, most of the course I had no idea what song I was listening to. I don't even know what I was thinking about. I was just running.

Whatever I was doing, it worked! Check out my splits.

My previous best time on the 5k was at my very first back in September: 33:41.8.

My new Personal Record? 31:12.8!!! That's a full two minutes and 29 seconds better.



After the race:
I GOT A MEDAL! :)

Truth: it's one of the reasons I signed up for this race.

I had come to the race by myself, so I kind of wandered for a bit. Took a few pictures of the course, got a lady to take my picture, basked in the glow of what I knew was going to be my new PR. And then I peaced out, showered and took a nap. :)

I like running by myself -- running with Pat at my last 5k just made me judge myself more harshly than I might have otherwise. But it is nice to have someone at the finish line. I had to settle for texting my Dad and Pat instead. :)

Overall impression of the race:
This was a really fun event! There was a great spirit in all the hardy runners that came out in the snow. It was also really well run, very friendly -- they were blasting love songs at the start/finish line. I'll definitely be running this one again!

Do any of you all venture out in the snow? We just got more last night! I'm wondering if it'll be another snowy 5k for me this weekend or if it will clear out!



18 comments:

Dara said...

great race! congrats on your pr!

Veronica @ Passion, Pink & Pearls said...

WOW girl, you totally impress me...I can't run when it's in the 30s here, let alone the 20s! Gracious!
Congrats on beating your time!

Amy said...

Dang girl look at you go! That is AWESOME
I would have been freaked out i'd bust my butt too haha so glad you didn't fall/have any injuries! :)
And also, that metal, ballin'!

Genna said...

SO happy for you! And that medal is awesome. I absolutely despise running in the winter (mainly because it irritates my asthma) so kudos to you for survivng it.

Breenah said...

That looks like so much fun and you did great! Hopefully you can run in your next one (this weekend?) because if it was in Wichita, I 'd doubt it would be happening.

Breenah said...

Oh, and I love the race sign too!

Holly said...

You did such a great job!!! And I LOVE that medal!! I ran my first few races alone, and I don't have a problem with that, but I love running with my dad because he's just a little faster than me and he waits at the finish line. It makes my day to be able to run something like that and enjoy it with him!! :) Congrats on a new PR!!!

Tristan Schlegel said...

That is such a fun medal! Good job on your new PR! It's always fun to win against yourself :)

Jordan said...

Congrats on your PR! I registered for my first 5k in April. You're awesome!!

Kaitlyn's Life and Blogs said...

Ahhh I'm so proud of you girlfriend. :) I love that medal. :). :)

kaitlin said...

Nice work Chica! As I think I've mentioned, I started couch to 5k this winter. It was a bad idea....first of all it's been too cold, second of all I was constantly been running on ice and snow. I decided to take a break, and start over when it's nicer out. I have just been doing the elliptical.....aside from slipping and falling I found running in the snow was terrible on my ankles. No fun!

kaitlin said...

Nice work Chica! As I think I've mentioned, I started couch to 5k this winter. It was a bad idea....first of all it's been too cold, second of all I was constantly been running on ice and snow. I decided to take a break, and start over when it's nicer out. I have just been doing the elliptical.....aside from slipping and falling I found running in the snow was terrible on my ankles. No fun!

Katrin said...

Congratulations! That is awesome! And I love the medal you got!
I can't believe the one guy in the pictures only wears shorts!

Melissa (Freeing Imperfections) said...

So fun! That sign... hilarious!

I'm surprised that you did the race alone! That's awesome. I need to do something alone for once. I'm always too afraid. For that medal, though - I'd do anything!

Ech and Will said...

Wooo! Congrats on the PR! I always get worried about slipping when it snows too. Glad you made it through safely. That medal is definitely awesome.

Tamara said...

Yahoo on the medal and the PR! You are fantastic! I hate having to run in non-perfect conditions but when it's all said and done I'm always much more proud of those races.

It is nice to have someone at the finish line, I don't always have that either - so I feel your pain on it. But I always just make sure I have someone to text and brag about it too!

That race sign is the best one I've ever seen too. I can't lie about it - I kind of teared up when I saw it. I mean, how freaking sweet is that?!

Again, super proud of you Abs! You're going to kill your half!

Katie said...

You are amazing and you inspire me to push myself, for sure!

MissAbby! said...

Love love love the medal! Where is the race at??

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...