Monday, February 25, 2013

No makeup Monday

Hey friends!

I've noticed something lately that hurts my heart.

I'll be scrolling through instagram or reading a blog and there will be a lovely picture of one of my friends. And in the caption it'll say something like "forgive my lack of makeup" or "sorry I look gross, no makeup."

I will tell all of you, right now -- even if I've never met you, even if I don't know what you look like --

You don't need makeup to be beautiful.

You are lovely. You are gorgeous. If you're smiling, if you're joyful -- that shows through, and who could not admire your joy?

But more importantly, you are a wonderful person, one who cares about others, who loves and is loved, who is pushing through life in a world that is a mess of the difficult and the amazing and challenges and struggle and loneliness and love, and you are doing the best you can. And you're probably doing a freaking good job. And that is beautiful.

I think maybe this pattern is yet another symptom of social media. We see other people who seem to have it all together and think, dang. I want to be HER.

We're always striving to be better, more exciting, more perfect -- more beautiful. And our society has crafted a very particular image of beauty (thin, but still with boobs and a butt, but not too big of a butt; tall with long legs; sleek, straight hair; perfect, clear, tan skin; pouty lips; long eyelashes...).

But I think real is always most beautiful. So if society's idea of beauty describes you -- that's awesome. But if it doesn't, you are still beautiful. You are still lovable and desirable and lovely and gorgeous and BEAUTIFUL.

One of my all time favorite bloggers (Caitlin from Healthy Tipping Point) also runs an organization/website/movement called Operation Beautiful. The goal of this movement is to end negative self talk and help people love themselves, through one positive note at a time. Lately, I've seen Operation Beautiful tweeting about No Makeup Mondays. They challenge readers to go makeup-less on Mondays, send in pictures, and think about how you feel without makeup.

I am wearing makeup today. I hadn't read the full post and thought it ended with the picture, not realizing it was about the whole day -- but. Here is me, without makeup.


I don't want to come off as preachy. I definitely don't have my life all together, and I try to create a realistic portrayal of both my successes and my struggles here on my blog.

I wear makeup. For many reasons. I think it's fun to play with. It helps me feel more professional, since I work with students only a few years younger than I am and am often mistaken as being an undergraduate. And I love to do something different for special occasions.

And yes, makeup can make me feel pretty. And occasionally, I do feel like I need makeup.

But I think I -- and you!!! -- am pretty without makeup, too. Just me, just the way I am.

I hope that if you're not in that place, someday you can get there. Because you are beautiful.

If this is something you struggle with, I'd encourage you to go without makeup for a day, for a few hours. For a trip to Target. See how it makes you feel. And if No Makeup Monday or encouraging people to LOVE themselves is something you can get behind, check out Operation Beautiful for more information.

Thanks for reading friends. I may have never met most of you, but through your comments, your blogs, your tweets, and every interaction we've had, I already know you are all a beautiful bunch of ladies. I hope you feel beautiful.

Lots of love to you, friends. Happy Monday!


11 comments:

Sara said...

This is fantastic Abbey! SO wonderful hearing your view on this. I feel the exact same way about makeup. I think it's easy to get caught up and forget that makeup doesn't make you beautiful, you make you beautiful. Makeup is just a cover, right? It's fun to put on, but it doesn't make you who you are. I think this is a wonderful message, and I'm so glad you posted about it. You look gorgeous in your picture! :-)

Kristen said...

So sweet! I go many a times without wearing makeup when I venture out. Took me a while to get to that point, but I did!

Do you watch Duck Dynasty, or know anything about it? One of the guys on there made a comment about makeup saying something along the lines of "the more makeup a woman wears, the more she's trying to hide. makeup can hide a lot of evil." lol

Genna said...

Amen! I constantly feel like I need makeup, mainly because I'm still struggling with terrible acne. Often times I just don't wear any at all just because it's a lot more comfortable. And frankly, makeup makes my face feel dirty!

Katie said...

Love this! You are so beautiful, inside and out.

I am not a makeup person. I wear mascara fairly regularly (3-4 days a week), but I only wear anything more than that...MAYBE once a month. It makes my skin feel crummy, and most importantly I want my daughter to know that while makeup is fun to play with, you don't NEED it to be radiant and lovely.

I'm definitely sharing this because I think it's fantastic.

Sarah said...

Amen, sister.

Kate said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this. You're so gorgeous.

I refused to wear makeup for the longest time (like, senior year?) And I still don't like to wear a lot of makeup. But I do feel.. odd without it.

But I see all these girls at school that are smothered in makeup. And I just want to say, "You are so much prettier without it. And I'm not even trying to fill you with bs." But they just don't listen. They're at that age. Sigh.

Amy said...

as always great post. It's funny when i was younger (even just a few years ago, but especially when i was in 11th grade-junior year of college) i rarely wore makeup (other than mascara)...and i think i looked awesome. I'm trying to get back to the place of being comfortable with my own face without all of the extra, even though i do love playing with makeup!
Great idea, no make up monday, i might have to try that next week!

Suze said...

Aw this was so nice. I agree!

Katrin said...

Such a wonderful post! Thank you so much! It is all so true what you said! And you are absolutely stunning by the way! I love make up too, it is fun to play with! And yes, sometimes I feel ugly without it. I guess we all have that...but we really don't it to be beautiful!

Melissa said...

You are beautiful! With or without makeup! :) Love the pic.

I totally agree w/ this post. It kind of hurts my heart to see that in posts too. I wear makeup. Everyday. I like it. I feel more polished, more put-together. But i do not think i look horrible without it! I usually don't wear it on Saturdays, but i do usually wear it to work.

Katie said...

Love this post. I used to wear a crap ton of makeup and over the years have dropped off to only the essentials. And I feel more beautiful now then I ever did with a face full of every kind of makeup I could buy. Love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...