Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A dinner party

Hey friends!

When I first chose "Hold a dinner party for my friends" as part of my 24 before 24 goals, I had visions of a Pinterest-perfect dinner party. Possibly with a theme, table settings, decorations, elaborate menu of fancy foods. You know. The stuff fancy people do.

But as we're closing in on my 24th birthday, I started getting anxious. I didn't want to not do this challenge. But it made me very nervous.

Over winter break I met up with my lovely friend Jenna and we talked about how she wanted to cook for me and the boys. I spotted an opportunity!

Last weekend, Jenna and I teamed up to hold a dinner party. The meal was simple. There were no place settings and we all drank water and the menu consisted of spaghetti, garlic bread, green beans, and a Pinterest dessert.

And it was wonderful.


It made my heart happy to see my friends all helping to cook dinner together. Everyone helped. Jenna made homemade pasta sauce with her Dad and brought it to share. Pat cut the bread. Sam contributed green beans and the boys set the table.

I was responsible for one part of dinner. ONE THING. and I managed to ruin it.

They said it was still good. :)

And then we ate and we talked.

It was so nice. I am very glad to have accomplished this goal.

It was also a reminder of the loveliness of reality compared with expectations of perfection. What real life has to offer is often so much more.


After dinner, we played Dominion, a really fun card game my mom got Pat for Christmas.


It was a very happy night. :)

Have any of you ever cooked dinner for or with your friends? I think it's actually a really common thing to do, but this was my first time!


11 comments:

Kaitlyn's Life and Blogs said...

Once I get on my own I will. My best guy friend Josiah has promised to make me dinner once I'm out of my house. Haha. :)

Amy said...

A dinner party is all about the people surrounding you, not the decoration...i have to remind myself of this ALL OF THE TIME!

Jordan said...

It's one of the many reasons I cannot wait to get our own place! Glad you had fun!

Sara said...

Looks like you guys had fun. I have never held a "dinner party" (w/ the exception of Thanksgiving) but I'd love to do that sometime. :-) It's the simple things that make the world go 'round, that's for sure!

Melissa (Freeing Imperfections) said...

Aw, I love this post! I've also set this goal for myself before, envisioning some picture-perfect looking party off Pinterest. Yeah. Freaking. Right. Life may not always turn out that fancy, but hey - it's still pretty fun, right? Looks like a great time :)

http://www.freeingimperfections.com

Shauna said...

Aww looks like a fun time!!

Ech and Will said...

I actually kind of like burned garlic bread so that picture had me drooling. Haha!

Katie said...

What fun! We used to trade off one night every week with who cooked dinner with our old neighbors. It was so fun and we miss it a lot! Good memories.

I love what you learned as well, real life is SO much better than the picture perfect.

Genna said...

My fiance, my brother and his girlfriend and I cooked the same thing for dinner last weekend! It's so simply but so fun to make together.

Veronica Lee Burns said...

fun! We hosted our first dinner party a bit ago and I loved it! can't wait to do it again!

Katrin said...

this looks like so much fun! i love to cook and have a great time with my friends. i wish i could do that more often!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...