Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Winter workouts outside

Hey friends!

So, I knew it was crazy to start a running training plan in the middle of December, when the semester was about to end and I wasn't always guaranteed to have somewhere to run inside.

But I did it anyway.

And today I thought I'd share my experience for other crazies out there running when it's 32 degrees (or less!) Although, let me preface this by saying that I don't live in the north, like my cousin in Madison who has been posting pictures of the weather at like -4 degrees, where it's ridiiiiculously cold. But it was below freezing, so I'm talking about it anyway.

One of the tricky things about running in the winter is that you want to be cold for the first couple minutes. Honest. You should feel a little underdressed because once you start moving, you will get HOT under all those layers.  I had days that were in the low thirties and I was still rolling up my sleeves or peeling off clothes.

Here's what I typically wear (although it should be adjusted according to the exact temperature!):




First layer is always these awesome leggings. I lucked out and my sister happened to steal these from either our high school or a football player in high school.

However, I've seen similar pairs out in the world -- they're just stretchy, thick, spandexy leggings. Not cotton or sweater or anything like that. I love them because they keep me warm and don't make me hot.

I always wear shorts over them because they look really awkward otherwise.

When it was super cold (high twenties and low thirties was the coldest I ran in) I work a long sleeve shirt and sweatpants over the leggings. This day must not have been so bad.













I recently found these gloves (the style Tamara refers to as "hobo gloves") at Kohls and got them for four bucks! These help with warmth (obviously) but also protect my skin from the cold winter air. I think that's super important because before I got these my hands were really suffering!

They're perfect for me because I like to be able to check my distance/change my music and normal gloves don't allow that as easily. Also, when I get hot, I can let my fingers breathe.

Finally I top it off with a running jacket I got at Target for around 25ish dollars and a fleece hat my bff's mom made for me for Christmas in high school. The important thing about the hat is that it covers my ears. And when it was colder, I did a hoodie instead of the jacket. :)


I also usually put on some chapstick before going out -- cold wind is not so great for my lips!

Do any of you work out outside in the winter? What are your winter workout essentials?



7 comments:

Holly said...

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately I'm one of those with a temp of 0 today haha. I've never done running before and my goal is to do a 5k this year. I'm so anxious to start, I don't want to wait til Spring.

Amy said...

as i was rolling through your list i kept thinking "oh let her add chapstick, its a must!" hahah. :)
Great list!

Kate said...

I'm definitely an outside runner.
My parents, who live less than 10 minutes away, have a treadmill that I can use. But every time I go up there, they guilt me into staying for hours and hours. (Obviously, I love to see them. But I don't have hours to devote to them every single afternoon. haha!)
Sooo I only use it when I'm desperate.

I just invested in a new pair of running tights/leggings because I've been freezing my butt off lately. Our weather has been so unpredictable though! We had 70 degree weather and snow within the course of 10 days. Soooo.. who knows how much I'll get to use them. :P

Sometimes I like running in the cold because once I warm up, I just want to keep going for the warmth. Unlike running when it's 90 degrees, and I feel like I'm dying as soon as I step outside. :P

Tamara said...

Yay for cold weather tips & hobo gloves! They really are awesome if you change music or just to let your hands breathe once you warm up.

I have no running tights because Texas has no cold weather. Seriously, it's 72 degrees here right now and gorgeous. I just have a hard time justifying the cost of a new pair for how little I'd end up using them.

I do need to invest in a new pair of capris though! I'm thinking after my 5k this weekend I may treat myself :)

.....with a margarita! Bazinga!

Melissa (Freeing Imperfections) said...

You just reminded me that I need to write a review of my workout clothes! I just got winter running gear as this is my first winter runner. What a tough one it is. I am in the North. It was 13 degrees tops, today. SO freaking cold. Needless to say, I'm not running outside this week :(

It is crazy to start a running program in the winter, but you do whatcha gotta do. I find gloves and a hat are the most essential things for me lately. Without either of those, by the end my ears and hands hurt so much!

Katrin said...

I love your running outfit! And I should really start to workout too! I always went outside running in summer but it is just so freaking cold and I know that I will freeze so much the first couple of minutes. That is what always stops me. I really admire you!

kaitlin said...

Shout out for Madison!! Today was -5. I too chose a bad time to start my running program. 15 degrees has been my cut off for running, so I just do the elliptical inside when it's below that. Womp womp.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...