Friday, December 14, 2012

Home for the Holidays: Christmas traditions

I'm pretty sure I've been calling this linkup the wrong thing all week.

Whoops.

Hopefully Katie and Holly don't hate me now. :)

Today's prompt for the linkup is "Home for the Holidays," and involves sharing some decorations and traditions.

If you follow me on instagram, you may know that so far, my Christmas looks like this:


Pretty minimal. Nothing I bought myself. What can I say? I've been a poor college students for four out of the last five Christmases and I'm one again this year.

I'm thinking I'll go shopping during all the after-Christmas sales. My home-home usually is more decorated though, even if all that means is a full-sized tree. :)

Some traditions, I do have, though:

ONE. Every year, I rock out to Hanson's Christmas CD, Snowed In, sometimes as early as October.

TWO. My aunt says that every family has to have a Pajama Aunt in it, and she's happy to oblige. So almost every year, we get a package from my aunt with new Christmas pajamas. We're allowed to open them Christmas Eve so we can wear them to bed. :) I have snowflake pants, ornament pants, and Christmas tree pants. But I wear them year-round. Of course.

THREE. Of course, when we were younger, we had Santa pictures. Here's the infamous one:


I got better at sitting with Santa, but I never liked it. The rest of our pictures, I'm pouting. I don't think there's a single picture where I'm smiling.

FOUR. When we were little, we made Christmas ornaments for all of our teachers, and the last day before break we got to pick a friend to go with us and hand out all the ornaments to our teachers. It was so fun! We kept some for ourselves every year and let me tell you, they are high quality ornaments right there. The gym teacher we had second and third grade, Mr. Steel LOVED our ornaments (or at least told us he did). He said he didn't have a Christmas tree, but he put them on top of his TV. This is one I'd love to continue with my someday family. :)

Of course there are many, many more. What we eat Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, decorating the tree, listening to Aaron Neville because he's my parents' favorite. Anna used to sleep in my room because hers was downstairs and it let her listen for reindeer. :) But these are some of my favorites.

What traditions do you all have? I'd love to hear!



9 comments:

Shauna said...

HANSON!!! Ah I remember when Snowed In came out, and I waited all day for my dad to get home and demanded that he drive me to Target and when I picked up the CD I thought the cover was the prettiest thing in the world :)

Breenah said...

We always get new pajamas. This year EVERYBODY is wearing them over to my sister's on Christmas. I picked out my own and I'm SO excited for them.

Katie said...

I love your little decor set up :)

And your ornament tradition...the cutest! How sweet and what a unique tradition!

Amanda said...

I think it is sooo sweet that Anna slept in your room so that she could listen for the reindeer! Precious! My brother told me about santa when I was tiny so I never believed haha

Katrin said...

Haha, love the Santa picture! :)))

Laura Darling said...

I love the idea of a pajama aunt. That's awesome! We've never had matching PJs but we do this year. My mom and sister and I have red snowflake ones, and we got my dad and brother navy snowflake ones. The boys' are a surprise though - we're not going to tell them until Christmas Eve! Ha!

Melanie said...

lol a pajama aunt? i need one!

Real College Student of Atlanta said...

enjoy your christmas, great blog! <3

Amy said...

We are twins, i just now it. I was BLASTING hanson's Christmas album this morning on my way to work....ah yes!
i want a pajama aunt...i will become that! AH i love this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...