Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hurricane Sandy and other things

Hey friends. I have a few things on my mind today, so I'mma talk about them. Okay? okay.

I'm sure you all have heard about Hurricane Sandy aka Frankenstorm.

If you've been around long enough, you may remember that my family is from New Jersey, that much of my family still lives on the east coast, and that we have a beloved beach house on the Shore. Me and Anna were just there in July and August.

It's where our family comes together most summers, and through it I've gotten to know my cousins, aunts and uncles, second cousins, great aunts and great uncles, the whole lot. It's been a second home. My sister was a baby in diapers at that beach house, and now she's about to turn fourteen.

Well, Sandy hit. At first, reports didn't seem that bad. We found pictures of our area and there was a lot of water, but the houses and powerlines were still standing.

Now that the water has cleared out some, here's what we can see:
pictures via
My cousin put this together. I'm not really sure what's happening in the bottom left picture, but bottom right you can see my aunt's beach house -- it's the one with white siding and half the wall gone. The top picture shows another angle where you can see that blue house has basically been pushed into ours.

I don't even know what to think about all of this. I nearly cry every time I think too much. I know in the grand scheme of things, we're lucky that there's any house left and that my family is all safe. No one lives in that house year-round, and our family that lives on the shore stayed with a friend, though I haven't heard anything about their home. (Hi Peter!)

But when I think about all that house means to my family, it just breaks my heart.

Here's the boardwalk we've been going to for years... if you look at my previous posts, we've taken tons of pictures here. Anna just rode one of her first rollercoasters here, and Seaside Heights has been part of every summer of my life.
via
You can see the boardwalk is gone. The rides are just sitting in the sand and much of what was there is swept out to the ocean. The area of the beach house and boardwalk were actually some of the hardest hit areas, and President Obama and the governor of New Jersey visited yesterday.

I'm sorry to be such a downer today. And it's ok if you don't have anything to say back. I just needed to document this.


With that being fully documented, moving on to other things...

It's November first. That means three things.

1. The date is a math date! 11-1-12. 11 + 1 = 12. Fun, yeah? :)

2. Today starts NaNoWriMo. I had planned to post about this yesterday, but you know. Things happen. So I'll make it brief: Every November, people come together for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is 50,000 words in the month of November.

Did you guys know I have a bachelors in creative writing? But I haven't really written anything since my last assignment in college.

I've been toying with the idea of participating this year. But then I look around my room and see the five-year journal that I'm a month behind in updating and the application to volunteer at DCAP that I printed off a month ago and still haven't filled out and my planner with two papers and two group projects in the next three weeks and I wonder if it's even in the realm of possibility for me to fit anything else into my schedule.

So here's what I'm aiming for: I want to write something every day. I don't know if I'm ready for a continuous novel, especially because I sure don't have any kind of outline or characters or anything planned out. But I want to write again.

Anyone else out there trying NaNoWriMo? I'd love to be your cheerleader!

3. Fiiiinally, November first also means the start of a new link up with Sar! She'll be hosting a link up every Thursday in November to talk about what you're thankful for this month.

I bet mine will be pretty obvious today, but in the wake of all the destruction in New Jersey, I'm so thankful for my family's safety. And I'm thankful for the many years and memories that house has given us so far, and hopeful there will still be more to come.

Thanks for reading, friends.





18 comments:

Katie said...

So sorry to hear about the home that holds so many memories for all of you. Internet hugs and lots of love to you and your family.

I love the idea of NaNoWriMo but I don't think I can get my shiz together for this year. Maybe next? I used to love to write and always dreamed of a novel. One day perhaps :)

Also I love that your bachelors is in creative writing.

Amanda Schroeder said...

Holy. Cow. This is madness. I'm super sorry to hear what happened. Give me some advice about this creative writing thing. Puh-lease. I'm looking into that major now !

Shauna said...

So sorry about your aunt's house Abbey!

Kate said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt's house!

And I saw pictures just this morning of all the destruction of the rides. And for some reason, the image of the rollercoaster just sitting out in the middle of the waves is what hit me the hardest.
Just something about that image made me realize all the things that people lost. It wasn't only their house or car (which is terrible enough as it is), but it was also places that they may have cherished because of the memories tied to them.

It just makes me so sad!

Amy said...

::hugs::
I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt's house. :(
Thankfully everyone was ok! It's amazing to me how much damage this storm did!

Sara said...

Sending thoughts and hugs your way, girl!

This storm was unbelievable, and I am so sad to think of all of the devastation it caused. I am so happy that your family is ok.

Kristen said...

So sorry about your family's house. :( I'm glad everyone is ok though! That's what is important right now.

Melissa said...

Abbey, I am so sorry about the beloved beach house. :( I will be praying for all of you. Being in Louisiana I've been through several hurricanes. We're more inland, though, so we've been lucky & have only had minor damage each time (if any at all). I have friends here in BR that i never would have met if they hadn't moved here from NOLA after Katrina took everything of theirs. The anniversary of Katrina is a day of such tragic memories for them. Anyway, I am so sorry this happened & will pray for you & your family to feel comforted.

xoxo

Genna said...

We almost lost our beach home about 6 years ago to some tornados. I know the feeling about possibly losing the place where you made all those memories all those summers. It's pretty damn scary. Praying for you, your family and everyone affected.
In other news, my cousin is doing NaNo! She's done it for three or four years. I'll be glad to be a cheerleader for you :)

KSCoffeeGirl said...

I'm so sorry about the beach house. I know what it means to your family. I'm glad that you and Anna were able to make some new memories this summer though. :) Hugs!

I used to write short stories all the time as in like 8 years ago...growing up stinks. I'll be cheering for you to write!

Tamara said...

That really stinks about the beach house, Abs. I'm sending good thoughts & prayers your way and your family's. I hope everything is salvageable and isn't more trouble for you all. So glad every one is okay though. Scary stuff.

Anonymous said...

That roller coaster in the water was the same one Abbey wrote about and Anna rode this summer. Sad days for everyone. A reminder to appreciate every day. Thanks to all who send sympathy and love and thanks to Abbey for memorializing these moments and the warm memories.

Tristan Schlegel said...

So sorry to hear about that! I know what it feels like to have a place mean so much to you and your family.

I'm glad they're all okay, and I know it might feel silly to feel sad about a house and a boardwalk and rides...but I definitely would too! It is a big deal. The whole thing is kind of a mess and really scary!

Robin said...

I can understand you being upset. Houses hold a lot of memories.

Kelly Arciniaco said...

Hi Abbey!! We are very lucky that are house is in good condition. The first floor was flooded, but nothing was damaged. Our next door neighbor's house was destroyed. Now we're just waiting to get back home. Peter's going over there now to help out. I'm so sorry Evelyn's house is such bad shape! We'll do whatever we can to help out!

Meg {henninglove} said...

oh my gosh im so sorry to this news. it is devastating especially when a place holds so many memories! and definitely thankful all your family is safe!! that is the most important

Danavee said...

Those pics make me so sad for the loss your family is experiencing. Boooo and hisssss. Thinking about you.

Katrin said...

This pictures make me really sad. I am so sorry for you and your family, friend. This must be so terrible! I am thinking of you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...