Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Happy birthday Anna!!!!

I was the baby of the family for nine years. But I definitely wasn't the kind that wanted the title.

Oooh, no. All along, I wanted a little brother or sister.
Anna, Em and my dad when Em won Homecoming Queen
I was the kid with a million baby dolls. I loved them. I carried them everywhere and they had names and personalities.

I even used to cut pictures of babies out of magazines and glue them onto sheets of construction paper.

I don't remember exactly when I found out I was going to be a big sister, but I remember when it actually happened.

My parents were pretty open with me and Emily about all of it. They didn't find out the sex of the baby, so neither did we. But we knew her due date, which was a Saturday, and we knew that my mom planned on lying in the tub when she went into labor before going into the hospital.

The Friday before Anna was due, I remember telling my teachers, school counselors, principal and friends that when I came back, I might be a big sister. Anyone who was old enough to know told me that due dates were tricky -- it didn't mean she would be born that day. Just that she might be.

Me and Emily decided to sleep on the couches in the living room anyway, just in case.

Early in the morning, our dad woke us up. It was time to go to the hospital.

I told him to tell mom to get in the tub.

He said she'd already done that, and we loaded into the car.
Anna and my Aunt Ev at the beach house
I don't remember everything from that morning. I remember sitting in a lobby just down the hall from where my mom was, my dad going back and forth to check on me and Emily.

I remember falling asleep in the chair and Emily saying she'd never seen anyone sleep in such a funny position.

But most of all, I remember that it was a nurse who finally came to get us. She said it was time to meet our new baby sister.

I remember a dad standing in the doorway of another room, waiting on his baby, calling me a big sister as I passed.

I'm a big sister.
My HS graduation, a friend's wedding a year later, and the fourth of July a couple years ago
Sometimes I almost feel like a third parent for Anna. In a good way. The kind of way that makes you want to say, "That's my kid."

(I actually told someone in a store this summer that I'd lost my kid. She looked very concerned, then very confused when I reunited with a teenager instead of a toddler.)

But Anna is the kind of kid you want to claim.

Anna is smart.
Anna is kind.
My 19th birthday

Anna stands up for what she thinks is right.

Anna is fun.
My cousin's wedding, July '11

And Anna is a BAMF dancer.

The poor kid will forever be compared to me and Emily. But I think that makes us lucky. Who wouldn't want to be likened to this girl?
Cousin's wedding, July '11

So happy birthday to my little sister, who is getting so old I can't believe it. I hope it's wonderful.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANBAN!!!!

13 comments:

Sara said...

Aww, Happy Birthday to Anna!

Love the picture of her dancing. BAMF dancer, indeed! :-)

Amy said...

I loved this!! :)
Happy Birthday To Anna!

Kate said...

I would have killed to have a big sister like you! She's so lucky. Happy birthday to Anna!

And also, your obsession with babies made me giggle a little. I was notoriously the little girl that got my dolls out because I felt guilty that I never played with them. Then I would leave them in the front yard all day while I found something better to do.

When the day comes, my parenting skills are going to be rock. solid.

Cassy said...

Very sweet!! Happy birthday to Anna.

My favorite memory of her is when me and my mom came over to pick Emily up for something (Harry Potter movie or book debut, I'm guessing) and Anna was so sad. She said in this very cute, laugh-even-while-you're-sad-for-her fake cry, "Emmmyyyy dooonnnttttt goooooo....don't go Emy."

I hope I didn't just mortify her on the Internets. If I did, I'm sorry! :)

Anonymous said...

Ferklempt.

Genna said...

So sweet :) I feel like a third parent to my little sister as well! Happy birthday, Anna!

Anonymous said...

Oh Abs, I don't know what to say! My birthday will be amazing because you and Em visited around it, I get to spend the rest of the day doing what I love, we won the election, and I will have a BA rock climbing party (I couldn't wait until Christmas c: ). But what really made the day was this! I'm lucky I didn't read this going to/from school or transferring buildings because I'm bawling! Makeup down the face and everything!!!

Love you so much!<3

Alyx said...

Best. Birthday. Ever. Happy Birthday Anna!

Katie said...

Happy birthday!!

(On a more awesome note: I have a great friend named Anne and also call her Annban... Are we soulmates?? I think so!)

Leslie said...

this is such a sweet post!!! Happy Birthday to Anna!! :) Little sisters are just the greatest!

AmberLee said...

love all those adorable pics! so sweet. there is nothing like a sister

Kristen said...

Aw, Happy Birthday to your sis! :)

I nominated you for a blog award by the way!

his little lady said...

Aw, a very happy birthday to Anna! All of these pictures just look like so much fun!
xo TJ

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...