Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Roasted pumpkin seeds!

Hey friends!

I thought today I would share how we made our roasted pumpkin seeds today! Yeah?

First, we carved our pumpkins :) We took the seeds from mine and Pat's and separated them from most of the gunk. We also stuck them in the fridge till we were ready to roast them. I'm not sure if you need to, but we did.

We melted a bunch of I can't believe it's not butter and stirred in the seeds. Unfortunately, we didn't measure anything the whole time. So, you'll just have to play it by ear if you're recreating the "recipe." But with the butter, you just want to make sure each seed has some on it because the butter is what will make the spices stick. Alternately, you could use Pam and spray the seeds.

Then we added salt and pepper. Again, we didn't measure, but you want to be able to see some pepper on all the seeds.

Next we added celery seeds. I had never heard of celery seeds. So I took a picture of them for you.


Stir stir stir. You wanna see some of these on each pumpkin seed too.

To roast them, you spread them out on a cookie sheet. They can be overlapping a bit but you want them pretty flat. We started with the oven at 250 degrees, but we ended up turning it up to 300 because they were taking foreverrrr.

We pulled them out every ten minutes and stirred/flipped them.
You'll be able to tell when they're getting done when the seeds change color.


Tada!!!


I was hesitant, just because I'm bad at trying new foods and not sure how I feel about eating pumpkin anyway. But they were pretty good!

Are any of you big fans of roasted pumpkin seeds? (I know Katie is!)


8 comments:

Christi said...

Now I want pumpkins seeds! YUM!

http://diaryofablondenewlywed.blogspot.com/

Mei said...

Great idea with the celery salt! I'm going to have to try that.
<3 Mei

riana. said...

I've never tried them before...hmm...maybe this year I will. :) Thanks for the recipe!

lil desiqua said...

I've definitely never heard of celery seeds either! And I've never had roasted pumpkin seeds. Are they kind of like sunflower seeds? They look yummy!

Katie said...

Umm, those look fantastic. I am always the first one to say that I dont like pumpkin seeds, and I will also be the first one to eat the entire pan when then come out of the oven. I don't know why! Maybe it's because you have to seperate them from the gunk? And then it takes me a while to get over how nasty it is? I don't even know. But I love them even when I say that I hate them. :)

Tamara said...

I make pumpkin seeds every year and love munching on them! I've not tried celery seed [didn't realize that existed either!] so that may be on the agenda this weekend.
Also, Pat is totally working the Pumpkin Seed Model photo. He could be a pro.

Jules said...

I LOOOOVE toasted pumpkin seeds! My mom would make them every year!

Katrin said...

I tried roasted pumpkin seeds before but I never made them myself. And I love the idea with the celery seeds!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...