Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fresh apple cake

Remember forever ago when I posted a teaser for the easiest dessert ever?

Here's the post about it!

This was the inspiration pin:


                                                                     Source: alizadventures.blogspot.com via Abbey on Pinterest


Ingredients required:
Apples (took 5 apples for me)
A stick of butter
A box of yellow cake mix

Optional ingredients:
Cinnamon
Brown sugar

Directions:
This recipe is seriously as easy as it gets, and makes use of apple season!

First, cut up your apples. It took me about five to fill my 9x13 pan. It would be really easy to make different serving sizes though!

I ended up chunking up my apples instead of slicing (though I left some in slices) because I feared it would be hard to cut through the whole slices.

Second, sprinkle/pour on the cake mix. Since I was adding cinnamon and brown sugar, I mixed them in with the cake mix and then poured it all over the apples. The whole box ended up being waaaay more than I needed, so I wish I had only mixed in some of the cake mix initially so I could save the rest.

Next, melt the stick of butter and pour it over the cake mix on the apples, trying to hit all areas as best as you can.

April, the original poster, said that in her experience, the moisture in the fruit was enough to moisten the rest of the cake mix that didn't get covered in butter. This was not my experience. I ended up having to add water to different areas where it was still very powdery after it baked and then putting it back in the oven longer. To avoid this issue, I'd suggest drizzling water over some of the dry areas before baking.

Bake at 350 until it's warm and bubbly, about 35-45 minutes.
Finished project. Yummm!

I took this over to Emily's house when we carved pumpkins and it was a definite hit! Easy peasy and tastes good? My kind of recipe!

I've seen similar desserts made with pie filling or frozen berries, so this recipe isn't exactly new. But I liked using fresh fruit -- I felt more like I knew what was going into it!

Have any of you had a similar dessert before? Make sure you let me know if you try this one! :)


8 comments:

Christi said...

This looks Soooooooo delicious. Now I am hungry!!

Michelle said...

This looks so yummy!

Lin said...

Fresh apples, sugar & cinnamon? Yes! I can totally picture this topped with vanilla bean ice cream. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

lil desiqua said...

Love this! I made an apple pie, but still have a ton of apples left over from when we picked them. Will definitely have to try this!

Amy said...

oh my gosh, easy and delicious! I can't wait to try it!

Chell said...

YUMMY! Love anything with yellow cake involved!

Katie said...

hallelujah for easy desserts! They're the only kind I can ever manage to get right! I'm totally trying this one!

Danavee said...

THIS IS A MUST TRY!!!!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...