Monday, September 24, 2012

DIY wall art (boy-roommate approved)

Hey friends!

Remember that weekend I skipped the football game? This is one of the things I did instead:



It was inspired by this pin:

                                                                         Source: krugthethinker.com via Abbey on Pinterest

and, like everything I do off Pinterest, was super easy. Here's how:

Supplies:
Canvas(es). I got four on sale at Michael's for $10!
Cheapo acrylic paint -- I used the kind that's like 59 cents a bottle at Walmart
Foam brushes
Thin painter's tape (like the blue kind)

A note on the paint: I accidentally bought the red in glossy, but decided to use it anyway. Pat likes the glossy finish, but I liked the others better. I thought the red/glossy was streaky and it's definitely shiny.

You'll also notice I selected KU colors. That was part of my plan to make it boyfriend and boy-roommate approved. But I think lots of different colors would be lovely. :)

Step one: Paint the canvas white. My canvas started out white, but I am glad I painted it anyway because it made touch-ups easier.

Step two: Put the tape on your canvas in however many lines you like. I did fewer lines than the inspiration pin.


I also tried to have the tape pretty tight. If you look at the inspiration pin, their tape was looser and the paint got underneath, but I wanted clean lines.

Step three: Paint as many coats as you like! I did three.
Step four: Remove the tape -- paint should be tacky-ish for this step; not dry yet, but a little bit after the freshest coat is applied -- and touch up lines with white paint as necessary.

Step five: Let dry and hang!

I'm pretty happy with the final product! (Sorry for the crappy photos, but I think they get the point across :) People comment on them when they see them, and they're much better than the big empty wall we had before!

What do you guys think? Have you done any easy DIYs lately?




15 comments:

Kate said...

i love these! I wish they would work in my living room, but even with different colors, the design just doesn't fit the style. Sad.

Sara said...

Those are cute! I may have to try this....

Tamara said...

Abbey. Why are you not decorating my house, like right now?! These are super cute and I totes want to steal the idea!
I love it!!
You are the bomb-diggity, fo' shorty.

Lynsey said...

Super cute. I'm always looking for easy art of our playroom. Might have to give these a try.

Amy said...

They look great!!!!
Soo easy for a pop of color!

Michelle said...

Looks great!

Ashley Paige said...

These look awesome! I'm always on the hunt for great artwork that will look perfect in the playroom.. this is totally it! thanks for sharing and for linking up! ;)

Kar @allmylove.mommy said...

Awesome!! Love those primary colours too! We tried taping a design and doing the melted crayon craft, but the tape rolled up. THIS would be so much easier (i think)

Rachel said...

I love this! I'm planning on doing these for our living room if I can ever find the size canvas I want! I'm looking for a more rectangular/long, skinny canvas for the wall behind our tv! Such a fab idea. You did a great job :)

Genna said...

Definitely a Pinterest success. I may have to copy in the near future ;) and THANK YOU times a million for the lovely card! Seriously, it was much needed and certainly appreciated. Loved it and love you :) Have an awesome week!

Jess @ Blonde Meets World said...

They look so awesome! I'm definitely trying this!

Heather @ Cookies For Breakfast said...

I am IN LOVE with this! I've been looking for art for over our bed for forever - this is perfect!

Alyx said...

Oh my gosh, GENIUS!! I love it.

Danavee said...

FUN! And so many color options!!!

Ian brss said...

Thanks for sharing this colorful wall art making idea, i have enjoyed your post.

https://www.xing.com/profile/Victor_Parker2

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...