Friday, July 6, 2012

Tips and tricks: How to be a good bridesmaid!

On the agenda today: putting together programs, making sure I know what I'm doing with mah hurr (it takes more than one day of practice for this girl) and the rehearsal dinner. Thank goodness Sar is around to keep you all company and teach me how to do this bridesmaiding thing. :)

Via
Hi Abbey's friends! I'm Sarah from [life of love], here to write a little bit about the Dos and Don'ts of Being a Bridesmaid! I've been a bridesmaid three times (once right out of college and then two this year), but have had to deal with helping plan three weddings in this year alone. Needless to say, I have a lot of experience working with brides! 

[Do] Answer honestly when you're asked to be a bridesmaid. 
[Don't] Say yes before you've thought about the implications that come with that. Remember that usually bridesmaids are expected to pay their own travel, dress, hair, shoes, and a shower + wedding gift. If you can't afford it, be honest up front instead of holding it against your bride because you already decided to participate.

[Do] Offer to throw your bride a shower.
[Don't] Forget to ask the other bridesmaids to help you out!

[Do] Go with your bride to try on wedding dresses and be honest with your opinion!
[Don't] Tell the bride your opinion until she has already expressed hers--you don't want to accidentally tell her that her "perfect" dress looks horrible.

[Do] Smile when you're walking down the aisle.
[Don't] Walk down quickly. You're going to have a ton of photos taken of you since you're in the wedding party, so make sure to look like you actually enjoy it!

[Do] Carry a tissue if you're a crier. You can wrap it around your bouquet ribbon and hide it with your hands.
[Don't] Lock your knees while standing at the alter! I've seen many a bridesmaid or groomsmen fall over or pass out because they locked their knees.

[Do] Have fun and enjoy the night! Your best friend just got married!
[Don't] Get caught up in any wedding drama! Remember that you're supposed to be your bride's rock, so be supportive, calm, and compassionate!

Have you ever been a bridesmaid? What are some of your dos and don'ts?

10 comments:

Katie said...

This is so helpful! I've never been a bridesmaid but I'm getting married next year and have 7! None of them have been in a wedding before so I just might pass this along ;) Thank you!

Elisabeth @ La Vita e Bella said...

love these tips! i think i'm going to be a bridesmaid soon so i might have to use them :)

Kaitlyn's Life and Blogs said...

Thanks for the tips!! I am being a bridesmaid for the first time ever on Aug. 11th!! :)

Obviously Obsessed said...

These are great Sar!! The honesty part is huge. If you can't be there 100%, don't be there. There is nothing worse than a bridesmaid that has better things to do. It shows through everything they do (or don't do).

xoxo Amber
myobviousobsession.blogspot.com

Abbigayle Rashae said...

Love the post dear!
My name's Abbigayle(:

Found you through Whispering Sweet Nothings!

Mind checking out my lifestyle blog True Blue Abbi and publicly following if you like it?

-XO Abbigayle Rashae
-trueblueabbi.blogspot.com

Adrienne said...

Super cute and oh-so-true!

Lin said...

I've been a bridesmaid many many times & I love these tips, you're right on.

Lauren said...

I SO needed that advice right now! I've got to be a bridesmaid for the first time in October. I especially like the tip about the tissue for criers...I swear I think I'd cry if my goldfish tied the knot. Sigh!

Sar said...

Y'all are so sweet! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

@Katie: Holy seven bridesmaids, Batman! That's a ton! I would also give them plenty of direction if they've never been in a wedding before, e.g. make schedules, be specific about the types of showers you'd prefer, etc! That's the best for new bridesmaids.

@Elisabeth: Thanks!

@Kaitlyn: Good luck! You're going to do great!

@Amber: Right?! I'm always surprised at people who complain about being bridesmaids...it's a choice!

@Abbigayle and @Adrienne: Thanks!

@Lin: Thanks, friend! I've only been one a handful of times but my dang friends keep getting married... ;)

@Lauren: ME TOO! I only cry when I feel love or sadness, and weddings are definitely love!

Tristan said...

Hey! I'm Tristan!

I randomly saw you on Whispering Sweet Nothings blog map and your blog looked so fun! I'm excited to follow you and see what else you have to say! Come check out tristanlynae.blogspot.com and introduce yourself!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...