Monday, July 9, 2012

Best day everrrr -- 15-Day Challenge

Hey friends!

I am back from bridesmaiding! It was a very fast, very full week. I'm sure I'll take the time to tell you all about it eventually, once I can collect my thoughts and pictures, but for now I'll leave you with a couple pictures from the wedding:

I'm the middle bridesmaid :)
If you're in the Springfield, MO area, I highly, highly recommend working with Brooke of Merced Photography. She was so so fun, and all the pictures so far have been gorgeous. There are a couple more up on her facebook already. :)

And a blurry picture of a picture from the photobooth. But I love it too much to not post it.

Thanks again so much to Amber and Sar for filling in for me last week! It was such a relief to be able to concentrate on what I was doing and not feel like I should be posting or answering emails. :)

Ok. So. Back to the 15-Day Challenge! Today's prompt is to tell about your best day ever.

Like everyone else so far, I've had a lot of best days. But I did think immediately of one day in particular. And dontcha know it stars this handsome fella right here:

Last summer, I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Pat in Oregon. I was there for about a week, and I knew going in that Pat had planned a big surprise for me.

Here's what I knew:

1. It would be cold.
2. It would be an overnight trip.
3. There were two parts to the surprise.

That was it. And he didn't even tell me all of that. Some of it I just wheedled out of him.

Since it was the middle of summer, I couldn't pack warm clothes really, and it's hard to fit that shiz in your small carry-on when you're packing for a week, so I borrowed gloves and a hat (I think?) from Pat's mom and brought my hoodie along. We got in the car in the morning and took off!


It was the first of many road trips while I was in Oregon and was the beginning of many jokes that lasted the trip (and that I think Pat doesn't remember anymore... :). I ended up falling asleep for part of the trip even though I really, really didn't want to.


We stopped for lunch at Subway and I knew we were nearing our first destination. We climbed back in the car and Pat excitedly pointed out the window and said "Look! Those are the houses built by the Italian minstrel Larry!"

Obviously I had no idea what he was talking about. He said he didn't know. He was just making something up to distract me from a giant billboard of our first destination -- a wildlife drive through safari thing!


It was somewhere I probably
never would have thought to go to on my own and it was so. fun. We heard lions roar, made friends with some buffalo, and had our path blocked by a bunch of lazy yaks. Pat was so excited about all the animals, and that kind of excitement is contagious, so we had a blast!

After the drive through part, we got out of the car and walked around a bit and saw some smaller animals. Did you all know that porcupines are actually pretty big? I always pictured them like hedgehogs.


After the walking, we got back on the road for a few more hours. We stopped and had a second lunch in a cute little town that I forget the name of. Amazing mac and cheese. And Pat had shrimp! Then back in the car for a little while longer.


I think by this point I had started to figure out our destination -- we were headed to Crater Lake. Crater Lake is high in the mountains. It's supposed to be one of the cleanest lakes in the country (world?) because it's in a crater at the top of the mountain and basically is only fed by snowfall.


But really I didn't have it all figured out yet.


So we're climbing the mountain and Pat tells me to start looking for snow out the window.


I don't know what I was thinking, but I was convinced there wouldn't be snow. I mean, it was June. In Kansas, it was probably in the 90s. And I even said a few times that there wouldn't be snow.


I was very wrong.


This was at the visitor center at the top of the mountain:


So we got to the top and Pat told me the rest of the surprise -- his parents had rented us a room at the fancy shmancy lodge for the night. The whole trip was (only part of) their graduation gift to me. :)


We stopped on our way from parking up to the lodge and climbed a little hill to see the lake. This was the site of one of my favorite pictures ever of me and Pat.


You can see the lake a little bit in the background
So we checked into the lodge and took our bags up. We looked out the window and saw this:


A few minutes later, it started snowing and we could see absolutely nothing. 

At this point I hit my head really, really hard on sloped ceiling and was very embarrassed for a long time because Pat planned this whole big romantic thing and all I managed to do was hurt myself.


Because of all the snow, most of the hiking routes were closed, so we were pretty trapped in the lodge. Pat's parents did also spring for us to eat dinner there, though, so we pretended to be fancy and ate with all these old rich couples. I swear, this British couple sitting nearby ordered
everything on the menu. And this is a place where a bowl of fruit cost like $12. So it felt a little bit like playing dress up, but it was really fun. :)

We did more Crater Lake-ing, but it was the next day. So I guess that's where my best day ended!


Aaaaaand that was a really long post. Whoops? I guess the moral of the story is my boyfriend is good at planning trips and I ruin them by falling asleep and hurting myself.


Also, there's a few newbies to this lil ol blog out there. Hiiiiii. Welcome. Introduce yourself if you feel like it so I can stalk you. :)



9 comments:

Elisabeth @ La Vita e Bella said...

sounds like an awesome day.

Kate said...

1. I love giraffes, so that picture made me super happy.

2. I applaud Pat (and his parents)! That was seriously sooo sweet. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a teense jealous. I think Michael needs some tips ;)

Tristan said...

I'm a new follower! Loved the little add on at the bottom of this adorable post. I would love to stalk you and have a stalker in return. Haha

What a romantic, little boyfriend you have!

Come check me out at tristanlynae.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I don't remember hearing about the animal park before! I love drive through animal parks. Gorgeous photos at Glacier Lake. I might want to move there.

Alyx said...

This sounds like a pretty awesome best day ever. I definitely want to go to Oregon now.

Dani Goetz said...

I LOOOVVEE Crater Lake!! I haven't been since I was way young, and am hoping to go back soon. I love that you thought there would be no snow :) I've playing catch up in reading everyone's challenge answers....you might find a few more comments from me before I'm done!

Amy said...

ahhhh that is soooo sweet!

Cassy said...

I am jealous of your trip! Sounds like a blast. I have always wanted to go to Oregon :)

Shauna said...

1. LOVE the photo from your window!!! It's gorgeous!

There's a drive through safari kinda close to where I grew up, they're so much fun aren't they??

That's so awesome that his parents did that for you!! How sweet! That's so funny it was still snowy up there, I went in September last year and it was nice and hot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...