Tuesday, May 29, 2012

On blogging and being genuine

I was planning on posting a recap of Anna's visit today, but she's still here! Sooo... I'll have that soon. With actual pictures! Woah! ;)

A while back, I experienced something in the blog world that just rubbed me the wrong way, and I'd like to see what you all think of it.

I'd been following a blog for not very long when the author wrote a really personal post. She seemed to  open up to her readers, and that's something I admire in the blogging world.

I commented on the post, thanking her for her openness and honesty. A little bit later, she emailed me back, saying thanks for the comment. Nbd, lots of bloggers do that.

But a second after the first comment-reply, I got another. "P.S. Would love to have you become a follower!!! I love new friends!"

And I stopped following her blog.

Here were my reasons:

1. I was already following her blog, which she didn't even bother to check before asking me to follow her.

2. I felt like her request took away all the sincerity I'd seen in her post. It suddenly seemed like all she cared about was gaining followers. If that wasn't her end goal, she could easily have started a friendship with my by visiting my blog or starting a conversation based on my original comment. (Yes, we all pay attention to how many we have, and it's exciting to have readers. But it isn't the only reason we blog, is it?)

What do you guys think? Have any of you ever asked someone to become a follower? Maybe it's just because I'm still fairly new at this whole blogging game, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

To end this post on a positive note...


I'd like to highlight some of the bloggers that write about real things, not just the glamorous (although I'm sure they all are very fancy!); whose posts I enjoy, and who seem to be open, honest, and genuine! (If any of you don't want to be featured, please let me know!)

 




Tamara from Lehmann Laughter



Sar from [life of love]





Stop by and show these wonderful ladies some love! And also, let me know -- Was I being too sensitive? Is asking for followers a normal thing in the blogging community? I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences!


13 comments:

riana. said...

No, I think you were In the right.

I never ask for followers because I'd like people to follow me based on the fact that they like the content of what I write, not just you follow me I'll follow you kind of thing.

There are those who do it anyway though.

Great post.

Meghan said...

Pretty much agree with what riana said :)

Joslin said...

I don't think you were being oversensitive. I'd have done the same thing.

Shauna said...

I totally get that, I hate that blogging seems to be just a big game for so many people! Isn't blogging just about sharing your life/thoughts for people you care about? I hate when it becomes so businessy!

Amy said...

Girl, you know where i stand on this! :)
I think you were right, her second email would definitely come across as fake, forced, and really just blah.
I hate it when people get caught up in the numbers game. SURE WE ALL DO IT :), but let's try to stay positive and blog for what really matters---emptying your heart out and being vulnerable and keeping a record of your life.
I LOVE your blog. While i may not comment on every entry, i read. :)

fridayschildblog said...

I don't think you were being too sensitive either!
I'm even newer to the blogging game but I'd like to say I won't get too caught up in how many followers I have...I would definitely like to have a few followers who care what I have to say than tons of followers who are only there because I hounded them with emails.
Just to add to what you said - since entering the marketing field, I've found that spammy emails like the one that blogger sent you are pretty typical, but Social Media is revolutionizing the way people respond to things. So where impersonal emails used to be the norm, people now expect personal replies and genuine interest in them before they reciprocate.
In short, maybe this will be a good lesson for that blooger on how to get real followers :)

Alyx said...

Haha, I don't think you were being too sensitive at all. I will NEVER ask anyone to follow me - if they want to, great, if not - who cares? I want my readers to follow me because they want to, not because I had to beg them to.
That's just my two-sense (two-cents?)

Leslie said...

You were absolutely not being too sensitive, I've done the same thing several times myself. A few months ago I did a blogging cleanse of a lot of the blogs I followed because I felt like they were impersonal, and only concerned about their numbers. When you leave me a comment that says NOTHING about my actual post, and only for me to come check out your blog and follow you... that's enough reason for me to never look at your page. I think it shows that you don't blog for the right reasons.

I'm so glad that you are such a genuine blogger, and blogging about your personal feelings is what makes you so easy to relate to. People like to see posts that are REAL more than anything else (or maybe that's just my opinion.. ) but keep it up girly! I love your blog, and I'm so glad we've been able to find each other!

Kate said...

omg. yesyesyes!

And the ones that get on my nerves the most are the ones that host giveaways ALL THE TIME.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love free stuff. But I hate that if I want a chance to get free stuff I have to follow this person, and this person.. annnd this person. And then I have to follow them on twitter. And leave a comment. And stand on my head.

I mean, really? I'll follow you if I find you interesting, NOT because I want your free pair of earrings.

Lin said...

I've done exactly the same thing. I dont know why exactly but it really gets under my skin when they ask me to follow their blog. That's a no-no in my eyes.

And yes, Sar is awesome!

Tamara said...

Wow, I love new followers/old followers/comments & numbers but I don't think I would ever be ballsy enough to ask someone to follow me. I want people to want to read my blog, not out of some obligation.
I probably would have done the same thing as you.
And thank you so much for the shout-out. You are such a sweetheart and I absolutely love your blog...even if you did email me like 20 times to follow you. GAWSH! :)

kimberly rae said...

preach! no way were you being to sensitive. i have a lot of issues with a lot of things i see in "blogworld" but this has got to be the most annoying. i also hate blogs that are constantly doing sponsor posts, giveaways, linkups or like posts on what they found on pinterest. lol ... i have a lot of issues i guess ... but it's just like, why even have a blog if you're not going to be a little bit personal in it?

if someone asks me to follow them i wont even email them back! hahah ... does that make me a B?? hahahah.

Meg {henninglove} said...

i have not asked people to follow me, why because that is their choice not mine. if they want to follow them then i am honored. if they choose not to follow me that is again their choice. i think it is rude to ask people to follow you and i don't follow those who ask me to

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...