Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Do you type like you talk?

Hey friends!

A fun picture. Just cuz I want to. Me and Meleah circa 2007
On the coattails of my post about sincerity in blogging I was thinking about it... And in some ways, I don't sound at all in real life like I do in my blog!

The example that sticks out the most is that in my blog (or in any kind of writing) is that I'll call people "love." I text it, start letters with it -- but I never call someone love when I'm speaking! I'm sure there are other things too. I know out loud I'll say some things that would seem silly in writing. (Like "holy potatoes!" which is something Pat and I say.)

I would, however, walk up to a crowd of people and say "hey friends!" just like I did at the beginning of this post. I've been known to shout out "dude!" when I'm excited and call guys and gals alike "dude." So it's a mixed bag, I guess.

What about you all? How do you think you translate into the written word?

10 comments:

riana. said...

-_- I actually cuss A LOT...but I try not to cuss when i write...i guess i think it looks bad written down and doesn't really make for a good impression, no?

Lin said...

I pretty just talk like I blog, especially when it comes to saying Yay, Dude, Yep & all cuss words haha.

Alyx said...

I write pretty much exactly how I speak.

Amy said...

I'm always and forever writing as if i were talking.
I've been told i write like a stream of consciousness and it's true. :)

Kate said...

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I'm much better at censoring myself when I type. :P

I also realize that when I type things that I normally say.. it just doesn't read right because I can't put any inflection in the words on the screen. :P

Katrin said...

Hmm, for me it's weird because sometimes I just can't express myself the way I want to in English. German would be easier. :) But I try to write the same way I talk.

Leslie said...

I think for the most part I blog like I speak.. but now that I'm really thinking about it there are probably some things I say in conversation that I don't say on my blog and vice versa. Food for thought! ;)

Tamara said...

Yeah, I think I speak like I write. Although, sometimes I hold back on the cursing because I know I have family that reads my blog - but it's not very often. I figure if someone doesn't like what I say, they don't have to stick around to hear it.
I say "That's what she said" all.the.fricking.time and lately I've been using the word amazeballs like it's trying to go out of style {wait, was it ever in style?}.

kimberly rae said...

I think I write exactly like I speak. One thing i was thinking about recently is whether or not I should start using correct punctuation in my posts (ie- capitalizing letters) because I never do. Do people care about that stuff? lol.

Rachel said...

I try to write like I talk, but I want things to make sense!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...