Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Crayon melty art

Guys. Let me tell you. I got my craft on this weekend. You might notice I have two new things crossed off on my 24 before 24 list. One of them was to do one of these dream crafts.

Well, this weekend, I did one!



I know there have been tutorials for these eeeverywhere, but since it was on my goal list, I'm going to go ahead and document the process.  Check it out after the jump!

A quick PS from yesterday's post--you know how I said I like getting to know you all? Well for some of you I can do it better if you let me answer your comments! Check out this post if you've never gotten a response from me. :)



Ok, so first I laid out my canvas (purchased at Hobby Lobby for about $9) and figured out how many crayons I needed. Then, remembering I'd read a tutorial that let their crayons get melty in the car before they started, I laid the ones I wanted out on my front porch. It was in the upper 80s Saturday when I did this.

Oh, hey Leah puppy.


While they were getting soft, I went into my room and set up my melting station.


You're gonna need WAY more newspaper than this. I ended up putting three sheets the same size behind my canvas and some more paper on the floor. It splatters like woah.

After about 20 minutes I brought my crayons in and started gluing. I used hot glue and did a line down each crayon. I ran out of hot glue towards the end though (turns out I bought the wrong size of glue sticks) and used tacky glue, which worked just as well.


By this point I realized that letting the crayons sit in the sun earlier had been pointless because it took me so long to glue them, so I put the entire canvas back out in the sun.

Hi again Leah.

When they started getting shiny, I brought the canvas back in and got down to business. I don't have any pictures of the process, because I was pretty much just holding a hair dryer to it.

I was disappointed at first because the wax wasn't as thick as I'd hoped it would be, but if you keep at it, it gets there. It's like a dam bursts and all of a sudden, woah melted wax.

Here's another (blurry) picture of the finished product when I hung it on my wall. It's actually a present for Emily (big sister), so it didn't stay there, but I wanted to see how it would look.




Then I ended up making another one for myself. I painted mine black and did chunks of color instead of mixing all the colors.


There are parts of this one I like better and parts I don't like as much (it's a lot smaller than the one I made for Em). I might end up making more and trying to sell this one if I like the others better. But for now... I like it a lot!

Have any of you guys ever made one of these? Any tips or tricks you figured out?

12 comments:

Kyetra said...

I so want to try this. Maybe I will this weekend. I think that my son would love it.

Shauna said...

What a fun craft!! I really like how you painted it black first!

The Lehmann's said...

I have this on my pinterest to-do list too!
These turned out super cute! I love it when I read tutorials like this on other blogs because people always give you little helpful hints.
{extra newspapers - check!} Great job!!

Alyx said...

This is definitely on my to-do list... just haven't gotten to doing yet, because craft stores here are few and far between.
It turned out super cutE!!!

Valerie Griffin said...

looks good!

Lin said...

Cute! It came out great :)

Katie said...

so cool!! I love how it turned out!

Connie said...

Hi Abbey: I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, from the Mingle Monday Party. I'm a new GFC friend. I would love it if you stop by and be mine, too. Nice to meet you.

Amy said...

These can be so much fun!!! :) :)
They both look great.

patience said...

haha, i used to melt crayons all the time when i was younger! okay that makes me sound like a pyro but i would melt them and then mold the wax into beads!

Jodi said...

I've seen those and wondered how they worked/how easy they were to do. Looks great and seems like a fun project!

sophistifunk said...

i totally wanna try this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...