Tuesday, April 10, 2012

For my Dad...


When I was little and didn't want to go to bed, my dad would scoop me up and carry me to my room. As we walked along, he would pause in different spots in the house, setting me down for a second.

"All right, bedtime, here you go," he'd say, setting me on the kitchen counter next to the sink. I'd giggle and say, "Daddy, nooo!" And he'd scoop me back up. We'd go a little farther down the hall.

"Here's your bed, now close your eyes," he'd say, holding me over the bath tub. I'd giggle and shake my head.

We'd finally reach my room, unmade bed in sight, but first we'd visit the closet, or I'd sit on the dresser, or even in my sister's bed, before finally making it to my bed.

For the dad who carried me to all the wrong places before bed time...



For the dad who made us PB&J sandwiches while mom was out of town and decided to give us a little something extra, accidentally creating polka-dotted bread when the M&Ms he'd slipped into the bag sat pressed against the bread for too long...

For the "Blue day"...

For taking care of the birds, bunnies, hamsters, dogs and frogs...

For teaching me to throw a softball, cast a line, check the oil on my car...

For the trips to the beach where you stay in the house because you don't even like sand or sun...

(Before prom sophomore year)

For the lemonade you shared with Pat at my graduation...

For the volleyball tournaments, the high school musicals, the graduation ceremonies, for the birthday parties you threw us, and for all the hard work to pay for every moment of it...

Thank you.


Happy birthday, Dad!

3 comments:

Lin said...

I'm a total daddy's girl so this post is the cutest most adorable one I've seen a very long time.

Now I want to go give my pops a giant hug haha.

Leslie said...

What a sweet post!! Happy Birthday to your dad!!!

Cassy said...

This is an old post, but I have to be a creeper and comment anyway. This made me tear up! Beautiful post. Plus, I'm fond of your dad. My favorite memory of him is when I called Emily one time and he answered the phone "Pizza Hut." Deadpan. I was so freaked out. I miss that guy! Need to see your fam soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...