Thursday, March 8, 2012

My recipe fail

Hello lovelies! I tried a new recipe last weekend and, if you didn't get it from the title of this post, it was a big ol' flop! But, inspired by this entry at NYC Taught Me, I decided to post it anyway. Maybe someone out there will have different results. I also have some ideas on how I could do better. So read on!



Here's the original recipe but--surprise!--I finally took pictures while I was doing something!

So here goes:

For a few weeks now, I've been planning on trying to make pajeon (green onion pancake things). I bought the ingredients and excitedly sent my roommate a link to the recipe.

Then I let my green onions go nearly bad in the fridge because I was too lazy to cook anything.

But Saturday I realized if I didn't make my pajeon, the fresh ingredients I'd bought would go bad, so I bucked up and got to work.

Here's everything I used in this disaster recipe. This is the ingredient list halved--the original list was for twice as much.

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 egg
1/4 tsp salt
Oil for shallow frying
For all the veggies, I pretty much had to guess what halving it would look like. I did about a half-inch slice of red onion, six or so green onions, and a good chunk of a red bell pepper.

First things first: cut up your veggies. The recipe calls for 80g of green onions and a third of a medium red bell pepper, as well as a third of an onion.

Since I have no idea how much 80g of green onion is, and since I was halving the recipe anyway, I guessed.

I also realized I had no idea how to cut a red bell pepper. That's what Youtube is for, my friends. I learned from this handy video:



I swear--I SWEAR--I took pictures of my veggies all cut up and my ingredients. I know I did. But they, along with the picture of my puzzle, seem to have been eaten by my camera. And I was being so good taking pictures all along the way. *sigh* Here's the veggie picture from the original recipe:



Next you whisk together flour, water, your egg, and salt.

Here's where I went D'oh! I was halving the recipe. How do you halve an egg? Well, I whisked it all by its lonesome and then poured half of it in with the other ingredients.

(There are quite a few places where I could have ruined this recipe, so perhaps you really will have better luck.)

Then you stir in the veggies:



After that you heat two tablespoons of oil in your pan. I've never fried anything before and it didn't specify what kind of oil, so I used veggie oil. At this point, you can go for individual-sized small pajeon(s?) or a ginormo, single pajeon. I intended to go with the former, but ended up with the latter. Here's what it looked like:



Then I had another mini panic session because maybe I'd put in too much oil and nothing was happening and maybe it just wasn't hot enough so I turned up the heat. Soon I began seeing bubbles. Yesss. I peeked under the pajeon a few times until it looked golden brown, then flipped it. Here's what it looked like:



Isn't that lovely?

And now here's where I messed something up. This is what the other side looked like when I was done with it:



Not so pretty.

I still had about half a pajeon left of batter, so I tried again, but both the full-sized and the half sized looked done (or burnt) on the outside without being cooked on the inside (aka gooey mess.) The edges cooked ok, so I got to taste it and it was yummy, but I didn't want to eat it all gooey.

I abandoned my pajeon and ate a frozen dinner.




Yumm.

So. What will I do differently (if there is a) next time?

1. I think I'll cut up the veggies smaller. If you look at the picture, they were the burnt part. Maybe smaller will be better/not be so high above the batter part.

2. I think I'll also make the batter-to-veggie ratio higher. It will lower the healthiness of the recipe, but it might also lower the burnability.

3. Pat also suggested that I layer it--put down some batter, then sprinkle the veggies, then put more batter. What an excellent suggestion, boyfriend!

So that's my shameful recipe fail. I challenge you to try it, basically just so maybe someone will figure out what I did wrong.

Has anyone else had an utter fail at a recipe?

2 comments:

Margaret Hart said...

Heat was too high at the wrong times. You can get the golden-brown outside, then turn it down. When you flip, go warmer again until the outside is golden, then turn it down. Agree with smaller vegies, and I thought it looked good. How'd it taste? YOu didn't say.

Danielle and Trev said...

This looks fantastic!! Love it. Newest reader!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...